Determine which keywords being searched?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited March 5, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I wish there was a way for me to learn / know which keywords are being typed into my search box, so that I could determine what content if any is being searched for that I do not already have displayed. And obviously I'd like to be able to accommodate my visitors by supplying the content they are not finding to fill that void.

Can it be done? I already have Google Analyt. in place but that just tells you what key words brought them to the website... not what was searched inside the search box. Unless I missed something.

Appreciate any help or suggestions you can lend.

TIA,
Markjay
360photostock.com
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Someday_DreamerSomeday_Dreamer Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Markjay wrote:
    I wish there was a way for me to learn / know which keywords are being typed into my search box, so that I could determine what content if any is being searched for that I do not already have displayed. And obviously I'd like to be able to accommodate my visitors by supplying the content they are not finding to fill that void.

Can it be done? I already have Google Analyt. in place but that just tells you what key words brought them to the website... not what was searched inside the search box. Unless I missed something.

Appreciate any help or suggestions you can lend.

TIA,
    Markjay
    360photostock.com

Hello--

Unfortunately I do not have a complete answer for you---BUT--because I am looking into a similar issue for another business I have been investigating Custom Reports on Google Analytics.

I would recommend that you first check to make sure you are using the updated tracking code (our 1st problem) and then go through the Custom Reports feature--I believe I saw some items in there that might get you what you want...

I hope that will help--If so will you let the rest of us know...?

Good Luck thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Markjay wrote:
    I wish there was a way for me to learn / know which keywords are being typed into my search box,

Not as far as I know, Mark, sorry. :(
    edited March 5, 2009
    Hello--

Unfortunately I do not have a complete answer for you---BUT--because I am looking into a similar issue for another business I have been investigating Custom Reports on Google Analytics.

I would recommend that you first check to make sure you are using the updated tracking code (our 1st problem) and then go through the Custom Reports feature--I believe I saw some items in there that might get you what you want...

I hope that will help--If so will you let the rest of us know...?

Good Luck thumb.gif

Ok--Well first of all after setting up a test last night, it doesn't appear the custom reporting will work for this situation---headscratch.gif

clap.gif BUT--you can still see the keywords searched for if you go to the Content section of your Analytics report. Just review the individual pages/links that have been visited and you can see which words were searched for....the url's have the word searched for in it. You can also sort your report to show just url's with 'search' in it and then just hover over the link to see all of it which will also contain the search word--

I hope this works for you--
  • MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I have a better way :-)
    Thank you for your follow up on this but I believe I found exactly what I was searching for (no pun intended).....

Just go to content drill down and there is the list of searches. You just have to read the cryptic text and you'll see your searched words / phrases.

Thanks for trying to help!

Markjay

Ok--Well first of all after setting up a test last night, it doesn't appear the custom reporting will work for this situation---headscratch.gif

clap.gif BUT--you can still see the keywords searched for if you go to the Content section of your Analytics report. Just review the individual pages/links that have been visited and you can see which words were searched for....the url's have the word searched for in it. You can also sort your report to show just url's with 'search' in it and then just hover over the link to see all of it which will also contain the search word--

I hope this works for you--
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
    edited March 5, 2009
    Markjay wrote:
    Thank you for your follow up on this but I believe I found exactly what I was searching for (no pun intended).....

Just go to content drill down and there is the list of searches. You just have to read the cryptic text and you'll see your searched words / phrases.

Thanks for trying to help!

Markjay

headscratch.gif Isn't that what I just said--what am I missing---??

Thanks