First Photo Post - CC Plz

Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
edited March 5, 2009 in Landscapes
This is my fist photo posting but I’ve been a forum lurker here for about 3 months. Please give me whatever cc you have time for. It’s the only way I’m going to improve along with online photography classes.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The first photo was taken at Van Damme State Park on the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Mendocino</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>Coast</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> in <st1:State><st1:place>California</st1:place></st1:State>. I actually got a bit wet on this one; you can see the splash on the right. I was using a 3 stop ND Grad, got five shots and had to retreat and dry off my tripod.
<o:p></o:p>
The second photo is from the same area, close to the <st1:place><st1:PlaceType>village</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName>Mendocino</st1:PlaceName></st1:place>. Shot was a little soft but the best I had.
Thanks,
Doug

firstpost.jpg

Coastinlet.jpg

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Nice shots, Doug!! thumb.gif

I really like that first one, great mood!! I find the splash a little distracting, but it's a great shot none the less!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Agreed.....really like the first one but the splash has taken focus off the image as a whole.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 5, 2009
    Great composition and exposure on that first one. The splash is what it is. The larger problem to me is that the big rock in the foreground on the right looks blurry. You might have some red-fringe CA going on there, or tripod/camera movement. Maybe both. I think I see the same fuzzyness on the trees in far-right as well. But otherwise, a great composition and fantastic colors!

The second one is nice, but not on a par with that first one in terms of composition and lighting. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • nxthreenxthree Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I like the splash. I think it adds to the story. It doesn't always have to be about composition, focus, etc.

The sky is fantastic, too.

Brian
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Thanks much for the feedback. My wife told me that she thought the splash was distracting and I told her that I thought it added to the drama of the shot. geeze now I have to tell her she was right.

You comment about the blurry rock, there could easily have been tripod movement as the surf actually circled me while I was sitting on a rock but my tripod was in the sand.

As to red-fringe CA problem, I've got to find out what that means.

Thanks for the CC guys.