Dumb idea?

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited March 8, 2009 in Cameras
So, I just got my laundry out of the dryer and what do I find? My little Canon RS60-E3!!!!!! :huh

Now I know what you're thinking and, yes, I know that running it through a wash & dry cycle was a dumb idea, but would it be even dumber to hook it up to the camera to see if it still works? It seems dry now (the dryer's working! :rofl ) but could the process have damaged it in a way that it would send a charge back into the camera and ruin that?

Should I just plan on buying another? :D
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 5, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    So, I just got my laundry out of the dryer and what do I find? My little Canon RS60-E3!!!!!! eek7.gif

Now I know what you're thinking and, yes, I know that running it through a wash & dry cycle was a dumb idea, but would it be even dumber to hook it up to the camera to see if it still works? It seems dry now (the dryer's working! rolleyes1.gif ) but could the process have damaged it in a way that it would send a charge back into the camera and ruin that?

Should I just plan on buying another? :D

I think it's just a switch, so it has no power source of its own. The worst case is that one or more contacts have shorted out, but that's just the equivalent of holding the button down. I don't think this can harm your camera, but I would wait till Ziggy weighs in here before trying it. ne_nau.gif
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Its just a switch. So even if its shorted, its like holding shutter button down.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Yup, that remote release has just three bits of metal in it. If the detergent has pitted those it might not make contact at all, same goes for the connector.

But it is safe to try.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Awesome! Thanks for the answers everyone!
    I'll try it out tonight and find out for sure if it needs to be replaced!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 5, 2009
    It is a multiple contact switch in that it allows both the half-depress and full-depress shutter release functions.

I would make absolutely sure that the remote is truly dry by giving it a couple of days to dry before testing.

If you have a salt based water softener I would also recommend flushing the unit with distilled water first and then drying completely as above.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    I got similar experience before but just the mobile phone.
    As usual practice, I took out the battery as soon as I found the phone then flush with clean water and use hair dryer at low temperature to dry it as much as possible.
    Finally, put it in the electric dry box for a week before I put the battery back and turned it on. It worked for another year.
    Camera may be more complicated as it may has more moving parts and glasses.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/