Buying A New Camera. Help Needed!

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited March 6, 2009 in Cameras
Hello everyone, long time no see. I have been lucky enough to have been sidelined by a slip and fall accident in September leaving me with 3 herniated discs (1 cervical, 2 lumbar) and between Doctors, Physical Therapy and Atty visits my desire to shoot literaly had left the building. Also the fact that financial situations led me to sell off my gear replacing it with well lets say something I'm not happy with it has indeed been a PITA road back.

This weekend we spent it at the Renfest and too be honest I missed my camera (20D and 24-105 L) and I missed capturing those magic moments so to speak, leading me here to my question.

The war between Canon and Nikon will always wage on and this post will only fuel that fire I'm sure but I do require knowledge that some of you have.

I thought that I was decided on the Canon 50D and misc glass until I read several reviews claiming that it doesn't even come close to the Nikon D300. So I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion as to why which one is better and why I should choose one over the other. I am starting out from scratch so it does not matter which way I go I just want the best bang for my buck so to speak.

Thanks for any thoughts you all might have!

Joe

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 5, 2009
    imax wrote:

I thought that I was decided on the Canon 50D and misc glass until I read several reviews claiming that it doesn't even come close to the Nikon D300. So I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion as to why which one is better and why I should choose one over the other. I am starting out from scratch so it does not matter which way I go I just want the best bang for my buck so to speak.

Thanks for any thoughts you all might have!

Joe

Joe,

Since you seemed to like the 20D and EF 24-105mm, f4L IS USM you would probably also like the 50D with the same lens. I'm afraid Nikon does not have anything just like that lens so you need to consider what is available.

I do think that the AF section of the Nikon D300 is better, and the responsiveness is very nice too. It is more costly than the Canon 50D and both will yield fantastic results in the right hands with the right conditions and technique.

I strongly suggest that you need to hold a Nikon D300 to verify that it will work with your style of shooting (most likely it will, although it is quite a bit different in user interface from the Canon but, if anything, more traditional to older film SLRs.)

In the end either are wonderful cameras but they are part of a system and need to be considered as such. Make the best choice you can, and take your time making the choice, and then never look back. Second guessing will drive you to distraction from the task of photography and is completely non-productive.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties and I hope that all your major hurdles are behind you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • realdealrealdeal Banned Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2009
    i dont know how much help i will be but i do wanted to point out that i do enjoy the nikon a lot it seems to have a lot of features im trying to learn what other options are available and how they can benefit me

i appreciate your reply it had a lot of good information im also looking into buying a new camera and what to make the best choice for my money i appreciate kind honest answers thanks kindly
    edited March 5, 2009
    realdeal wrote:
    i dont know how much help i will be but i do wanted to point out that i do enjoy the nikon a lot it seems to have a lot of features im trying to learn what other options are available and how they can benefit me

i appreciate your reply it had a lot of good information im also looking into buying a new camera and what to make the best choice for my money i appreciate kind honest answers thanks kindly

Realdeal, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    One thing I think to consider is that since you had the 20D before you already are very familiar with the Canon XXD controls layout. If you want to get to shooting right away again, moving to a new system might slow you down. I guess it all depends on how quick you pick up where to place your fingers when you are looking through the viewfinder.
    ~ Lisa
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    463058644_iUVVn-Th.jpg Although most Nikon users will automatically agree it is a better system, I am not all that convinced. The systems are so close now that it really comes down to personal preference.
    I believe that it is hard to switch. The feel, functions, and layout are all a bit different.
    Steve

Website
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Im unfamiliar with Nikon but....

The 50D would be a HUGE improvement over the 20D that you are fond of...

In my mind......notable improvements are....

-resolution nearly a 100% increase.
    -Higher ISOs and better performance at higher ISOs
    -largeer....and crystal clear LCD
    -The dynamic lighting controls and highlight tone priority
    -Micro adjustment for the focus calibration of your lenses. This is sweet.
    -6 point something frames per second.

I recently upgraded from a 400D to a 50D. I haven't really even broken it in yet, and am still learning the features/controls as they are different than the 400D....but so far I am very pleased with the purchase.

Maybe not for everyone, but for me cost is always a factor. If it comes down to apples and apples.....maybe make a list of accessories and lens focal lengths you would like to pair with the camera and add up the cost.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I have been using a D700 and a 5DmkII simultaneously. I know they're not the same models as you are considering, but yet another comparison thread might help... or harmrolleyes1.gif

Sleeping With THe Enemy

Bottom line: I pick up first and love using the Nikon. All my fave lenses are my Canon primes. Today, I'm using the video feature of the 5D2. I kinda hate the Canon controls by comparison but the resolution of the 5DmkII is so great for some things...
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    If money is not a factor, and starting out from a clean slate, I'd go with a D300. 12MP is just about right, the Nikon has a nicer AF system and such a sweet body, and arguably better ergonomics. (BTW, I use a Canon).

If bang for the bucks is really a factor, I'd consider a Canon 40D. I think it's got a nicer feature than the D90 from Nikon and at about $900, or about $700 reburbished at Adorma, it leaves a lot of room for lenses.

IQ wise, 10, 12, 15 MP isn't a big difference unless you plan on routinely printing very large and as far as I'm concerned, IQ is all similar enough among the three.

Good luck.
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Hey Everybody,

Thank you all so much for your input, it is really appreciated. Unfortunately I have been informed that surgery is a strong possibility in the not to distant future and if that is the case then I will be out of work for an extended period of time. So the money that was to be used for gear will now have to go towards survival. Welcome to my Nightmare!

Thanks again for all your thoughts....

Joe
    edited March 6, 2009
    Best of luck Joe.
    ziggy53
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.