Another Question About Lenses?

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited March 5, 2009 in Cameras
Looking at possibly getting the Sigma Bima 50-500. Anyone have any current thoughts on this lens?

Also anyone have opinions on the

Sigma 70-200 2.8 IIEX DG APO Macro

as opposed to the

Tamron 70-200 2.8 DI LD Macro

Opinions appreciated

THanks

Comments

• hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    imax wrote:
    Looking at possibly getting the Sigma Bima 50-500. Anyone have any current thoughts on this lens? quote]

I have it in Canon mount and use it. Heavy. Even heavier after carrying it around for an hour on an already-heavy 5d Mark II! But it takes good, sharp sunny-day photos for me ... and many others who have found it to be cost effective, used it and spoken about it on these and other forums. Nonetheless, while my "L" glass is sharper, I still use the Bigma fairly regularly — especially at airshows where I find its mass helps me to take handheld photos with no blur. Would I buy it again if I knew what I knew now? Yes, although the weight would now be a consideration on the negative side what with these 60 year old and getting older arms of mine.:cry
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    imax wrote:
    Looking at possibly getting the Sigma Bima 50-500. Anyone have any current thoughts on this lens?

Also anyone have opinions on the

Sigma 70-200 2.8 IIEX DG APO Macro

as opposed to the

Tamron 70-200 2.8 DI LD Macro

Opinions appreciated

THanks

As for the Siggy 70-200........I use the Siggy 70-210 f2.8 APO - PRE dg exll and it is sharp as a tack, but I have been using this lens on several film cameras in the past also........so when I leave the Minolta's behind for my next camera I am hoping the new lens to be at least a tad faster / quieter in focusing (my version is not real slow nor real noisy.....still get close ups of wild deer so.....) but if it were a bit fasterit would not hurt my feelings.........they are heavy but any fast glass is gonna be heavy.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website