DX Format Fisheye?

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited March 7, 2009 in Cameras
I own a D300 and would very much like to get into some decent fisheye work. Would you mind sharing any successes/image examples that you've had? Thanks so much!

Comments

• hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I think my personal-favorite lens over the past couple of years has been the Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, a fun, cost effective, gem of a lens IMHO on any crop camera and sharp as a tack, filling the whole frame.

While useable on full-frame cameras, it does make a sorta keyhole effect caused by the built-on lenshood. The hood petals can be shaved off with great surgical care, as others have done, to create a round image within the full-frame (will not have corner to corner coverage on a full-frame).

Because of its compactness, light weight, and the easy avilability of de-fishing software, it makes one fine lens to have in anyone's bag.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I think my personal-favorite lens over the past couple of years has been the Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, a fun, cost effective, gem of a lens IMHO on any crop camera and sharp as a tack, filling the whole frame.

While useable on full-frame cameras, it does make a sorta keyhole effect caused by the built-on lenshood. The hood petals can be shaved off with great surgical care, as others have done, to create a round image within the full-frame (will not have corner to corner coverage on a full-frame).

Because of its compactness, light weight, and the easy avilability of de-fishing software, it makes one fine lens to have in anyone's bag.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that one. I have a tokina 12-24 and have always loved the brand. So, the modification to the hood would only have to made when placed onto a full frame....is that what you're saying?
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that one. I have a tokina 12-24 and have always loved the brand. So, the modification to the hood would only have to made when placed onto a full frame....is that what you're saying?

That's correct, only for full-frame cameras ... although your "have to" is a bit strong. I use it on my full-frame occasionally, but obviously need to take into consideration what actual image coverage I will have. It is still very usable unshaved on a full-frame.

But if you do not plan to go in that direction, it works wonderfully on the crops like my 30D etc.

I found an unshaved full-frame image on the web here: http://www.pbase.com/m1ke_a/image/99321581

Just remember, the Tokina 10-17 Fisheye is designed for crop cameras and provides full corner to corner images on them ... and I love itiloveyou.gif
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I see what you're saying....that image is hideous! :D
  • Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    I shoot with the D300 and use the Nikon 10.5 F2.8 fisheye.
    Here are a few images shot with this combo.

218605661_6xtmq-L-1.jpg

212761515_FhA2p-L-1.jpg

219107367_BgNdR-L-1.jpg

I use this lens all the time. Sadly, I need to sell it as I am upgrading to a pair of D700's. Anyone know a good fishy for full frame? Around a 15-16 mm?
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    I use this lens all the time. Sadly, I need to sell it as I am upgrading to a pair of D700's. Anyone know a good fishy for full frame? Around a 15-16 mm?

Do you want the cropped look (like above) or the full-circle fish eye look? Sigma makes some excellent fisheyes as well -- I've their 8mm full circle one and with the D3 it's a blast to use. I can also switch to DX mode or use the D300 to get the cropped look as well -- or self crop it in post processing.
    //Leah