Options

Kenko Tubes and Wide Angles Lenses ?

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited May 28, 2005 in Cameras
Hi there folks, I dunno if I'm asking this question in the right section of the forum, but I'm sure someone will move it if it's not in the right place :D

Does anyone know if you can use Kenko Ext. Tubes on wide angle lenses?

I just received my Canon 24mm 1.4 Lens this week, and tomorrow my Sunday, your Saturday, I'm gonna go try it out, even if the weather is sucking bigtime at the moment :rofl .......I'm gonna try it out indoors to see how it copes with low light and display areas.

Thanks in advance :D Skippy (Australia)
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    Can't speak to the Canon lens, but Nikon does not recommend these teleconverters on wide angle lenses. What would be the purpose of this? Surely you have another lens that is close to 50mm. You will be losing at least one stop with the teleconverter. Not to mention a probable decrease in quality over a standard 50mm lens.

mitch
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there folks, I dunno if I'm asking this question in the right section of the forum, but I'm sure someone will move it if it's not in the right place :D

Does anyone know if you can use Kenko Ext. Tubes on wide angle lenses?

I just received my Canon 24mm 1.4 Lens this week, and tomorrow my Sunday, your Saturday, I'm gonna go try it out, even if the weather is sucking bigtime at the moment rolleyes1.gif .......I'm gonna try it out indoors to see how it copes with low light and display areas.

Thanks in advance :D Skippy (Australia)
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    I was thinking...........
    Mitchell wrote:
    Can't speak to the Canon lens, but Nikon does not recommend these teleconverters on wide angle lenses. What would be the purpose of this? Surely you have another lens that is close to 50mm. You will be losing at least one stop with the teleconverter. Not to mention a probable decrease in quality over a standard 50mm lens.

mitch
    Thanks for replying, I guess I didn't word my question very well.
    I was thinking along the lines of creative distortion ne_nau.gif the Canon 24mm is the widest lens I have at the moment, and was wondering what sort of bending would happen to an image is you added Kenko tubes rolleyes1.gif well best way to find out is to try it I guess isn't it rolleyes1.gif ...... So I'll give it a go today and see what happens :D Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Thanks for replying, I guess I didn't word my question very well.
    I was thinking along the lines of creative distortion ne_nau.gif the Canon 24mm is the widest lens I have at the moment, and was wondering what sort of bending would happen to an image is you added Kenko tubes rolleyes1.gif well best way to find out is to try it I guess isn't it rolleyes1.gif ...... So I'll give it a go today and see what happens :D Skippy (Australia)

I think the tube will do what it does for other lenses. It will shorten the minimum focusing distance and reduce DOF. It may make it so that the lens will no longer focus to imfinity, but you may get some cool effects with it. and BTW you do not lose a stop of light with extension tubes. You do with a 1.4 teleconverter, but it is not the same thing at all.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    extension tubes vs. tcon
    Mitchell wrote:

mitch

mitch, skippy's talking about extension tubes - not the same thing as an teleconverter deal.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    oops.

mea culpa:whip