Thanks for looking!

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    I tweaked this a little.

What about the foreground? Is the bush and fence OK or not? Maybe it would have been a better shot to look down the slope to the trees without them?

Is the pic sharp enough?

I like this shot because of the lushness/complexity of the trees' foliage and the cool greens and blues. To an Australian's eyes this is beautiful country. Does anyone else share that feeling?

Please leave your comments.

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    I tweaked this a little.

What about the foreground? Is the bush and fence OK or not? Maybe it would have been a better shot to look down the slope to the trees without them?

Is the pic sharp enough?

I like this shot because of the lushness/complexity of the trees' foliage and the cool greens and blues. To an Australian's eyes this is beautiful country. Does anyone else share that feeling?

Please leave your comments.

Hi Neil, I like old fences so I think it would have been better to show the fence from ground level and make it more of the subject. How can anyone NOT see this as beautiful country thumb.gif
    Cheers, Richard.
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    NICE COUNTRY SIDE- YET time to use crop tool..
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    I'm on the fence about the fence. Not really. Because of the barbwire on the fence it does not really add to the composition, I would probably crop the whole fence out. IMHO
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    I think it's a beautiful scene, but I would crop the fence and maybe as far up as the middle of the darker green trees. I love the fence, but not in this scene. Perhaps you could try a couple different crops and post them for us to take another look. I do think the colors and subject are wonderful, and the sky is cloudy enough to add interest but without overpowering the rest of the image.

Let's see more!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 8, 2009
    pillman wrote:
    NICE COUNTRY SIDE- YET time to use crop tool..

Thanks for your comment, Bill. Yes, there is a lot in the image, I agree.

edited March 8, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi Neil, I like old fences so I think it would have been better to show the fence from ground level and make it more of the subject. How can anyone NOT see this as beautiful country thumb.gif
    Cheers, Richard.

Yep, I also like old fences, though this one is maybe not a prime candidate for admiration!?

I can see two or three pics in this image, like the one you describe of the fence as the subject.

Glad you like the scene. This is the country inland from Burnie in NE Tassie.

Appreciate your comment, Richard!

edited March 8, 2009
    I'm on the fence about the fence.

Ouch! (Barbed wire!!)
    it does not really add to the composition, I would probably crop the whole fence out. IMHO

I see that. Yet, it helps give the image perspective. And while there does seem to be too much in the image, somehow I think that less might make the image just a bit too much of a simple snap.

Not arguing, just struggling between cropping and not cropping.

It's a moderate resolution (10MP from a 40D) image, so cropping has implications for print/viewing size. I hate cropping, so it goes against my feeling.

Grateful for your input!

edited March 8, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I think it's a beautiful scene, but I would crop the fence and maybe as far up as the middle of the darker green trees. I love the fence, but not in this scene. Perhaps you could try a couple different crops and post them for us to take another look. I do think the colors and subject are wonderful, and the sky is cloudy enough to add interest but without overpowering the rest of the image.

Let's see more!

Thanks, Lauren. Enjoyed your comments! Pleased you like the scene!

I know what you're saying, and agree with it to a large extent. Trouble is, I see a narrative in the image.

It's common for photographs to have a strong focus on one subject, though there is another style which is to invite the eye to ramble. A good example is a kind of illustration in children's storybooks. Kids love an image to ramble in, where they can explore and put together a narrative, parallel to the story. Eg what is happening near the fence, what is happening in the trees, what is happening in the fields, what is happening in the barns, in the house, what is happening in the hills....

See? That's what I like about this image.

But, as yours and the other comments prove, that 's maybe not working successfully here.

I'd love to crop down into the interesting nooks and crannies, but I don't have the resolution.

I gotta learn how to upres, seems?!

edited March 8, 2009
    Is it sharp enough? It's difficult, I find, to tell with landscapes. I can't convince myself it is. I tell myself it's wishful thinking! :D

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Looking good! I'd prefer if you cropped the fence out though.
    edited March 9, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Looking good! I'd prefer if you cropped the fence out though.

Thank you for your comment, dseidman!

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    I like how you explained your thought process and the evolution of storytelling. I don't spend nearly enough time on my compositions and, as a result, my answer to "what are you trying to say with this shot" often comes out to be: "Um, well, I like the way the scene looks." rolleyes1.gif Frankly, I tend to find stories (and frequently, Bible verses) that fit my images AFTER I've shot them.

I can definitely see story possibilities in your shot, fence or no fence. And, it's clear that you are personally very happy with your image, so I say: Don't Crop! :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 9, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I like how you explained your thought process and the evolution of storytelling. I don't spend nearly enough time on my compositions and, as a result, my answer to "what are you trying to say with this shot" often comes out to be: "Um, well, I like the way the scene looks." rolleyes1.gif Frankly, I tend to find stories (and frequently, Bible verses) that fit my images AFTER I've shot them.

I can definitely see story possibilities in your shot, fence or no fence. And, it's clear that you are personally very happy with your image, so I say: Don't Crop! :D

Lauren

:D back!

Thanks for your followup, Lauren!

About the cropping... well, standby for Trees and contentment 2...

• iambarefootiambarefoot Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    My take on the fence.
    It's neat in that it suggests the photographer was standing on the ground, and that emphasizes the "rolling hills" nature of the countryside - but yeah, it's not very pretty, and takes away a little bit from the composition, imho.

Also, the colours look a little flat - what time of day did you take this? I think it would benefit from the light later in the afternoon.
    edited March 11, 2009
    My take on the fence.
    It's neat in that it suggests the photographer was standing on the ground, and that emphasizes the "rolling hills" nature of the countryside - but yeah, it's not very pretty, and takes away a little bit from the composition, imho.

Also, the colours look a little flat - what time of day did you take this? I think it would benefit from the light later in the afternoon.

Yep. And thanks for commenting!

I think it was raining in the morning, and at sunset (which was very clear - no clouds, so not great for 'effects') I was elsewhere (I was on the road).

No problem. This was taken between 2-3pm. The colors, especially the trees' leaves and the pasture, have a highlight value which is attractive, at least to me, and the shot is bluer, which I also like. There would have been more red in a sunset shot and not so much reflected brightness. I think there is enough contrast and color saturation here. But I'm the Daddy! mwink.gif:D

So this pic maybe doesn't altogether fit conventions. That mightn't be all bad?