Options

I Need Help, Too!

ashbyashby Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited May 29, 2005 in Technique
I took some photos at a party last night and am disappointed with the color. I am off to my niece's wedding this afternoon and would like to correct the issue. Andy suggested this forum.
Any ideas?

23255581-M.jpg

23255573-M.jpg

23255564-M.jpg

I am using a 20D with default parameter, 580 flash and AWB. All the pictures have this same bad color rendition. I've tried to fix them a bit with iPhoto, but not a lot of improvement. I'll try Photoshop when I have more time.

Any ideas how I can improve the results?

TIA.

Hal

Comments

• Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    I have only been at it for 3 month could it be White balance setting ?

Gary
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    I gave it a try
    but failed miserably! I'm trying to learn more about color.

I'd say you should have tried to "set" the auto balance for the lighting in the room. I don't have a dSLR, but my "point and shoot" lets me change the white balance.

I tried to correct for the "too much red" in the photo, and they are also too dark, but I couldn't get a good color repair.

Do the first two men have reddish complexions?

When I tried to use curves on the white label and the black of the man's glasses frame it messed up the photo even more.

I know some expert will let us know how to fix it, and I'll be following the reply myself so I can learn too.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    Yeah, your white balance is wrong.

You can set a custom white balance, or select the correct one instead of auto.

You can also shoot in RAW, which allows you to set and adjust the white balance in post. Unless you're shooting a large number of images, I would shoot RAW, or, if you're new to RAW, consider RAW+JPEG, so you can work from the JPEG, but have the RAW for those shots you want to really make sing. Of course, that takes up more memory on your card.

DO NOT USE iPHOTO for correction, open it in PS to adjust your photos. You can set iPhoto to open in PS when you double-click.

If you're shooting RAW, avoid iPhoto altogether.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Here's a try on the lady
    I tried auto color, didn't like that
    I tried curves on the white and black blouse, didn't like that
    I tried levels, that worked better for me
    I added a layer, made it "screen" mode in Photoshop, and lowered the opacity to about 25%. Pretty easy fix if you like the results.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Here's the photo
    Dee wrote:
    I tried auto color, didn't like that
    I tried curves on the white and black blouse, didn't like that
    I tried levels, that worked better for me
    I added a layer, made it "screen" mode in Photoshop, and lowered the opacity to about 25%. Pretty easy fix if you like the results.

forgot to press the "upload" button :-(
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    here's my try. photobrush has a white ballance adjustment so i gave it a try. also some levels and mid-tone adjustment. kept the overall brightness of the original flash pic. her hair is still a little dark in this one.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    another try. used filter-sim to overlay a simulated color filter. used an 80D blue filter, then some midtones adjustment.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Thanks to all your suggestions. Your photoshop work gives me some hope of recovering the best ones. I still don't understand why AWB while using flash would be so far off.

Thanks again.

Hal
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Hal, i didn't use photoshop. used photobrush, which is another program i use in addition to photoshop for certain processing. i think it works better and faster in some cases. there is a free filter-sim program that you can get here: http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/filtersim.htm lets you use the whole wratten filter catalog after the fact. try it, it could help "save" a bunch of your off white ballance pics. i used the 80D to correct the too red/orange effect on your sample.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 28, 2005
    ashby wrote:
    Thanks to all your suggestions. Your photoshop work gives me some hope of recovering the best ones. I still don't understand why AWB while using flash would be so far off.

Thanks again.

Hal

I don't think using AWB is the whole problem. I frequently shoot a 20D with a 580EX in AWB without color balance problems. What color was the ceiling? You can get real funny color balance problems bouncing flash off non white walls....

I would suggest using the white balance setting for Electronic flash IF electronic flash is the main light source, as opposed to a mixed light source.

I wonder if in your images the available light contributed to the warmth. Were these images shot in Av mode, P mode, or portrait or auto?? It makes difference because flash is handled diffierently in Av versus P or Auto.

In Av mode, the available light is used for the basic exposure and the flash is only added for fill in the foreground. In auto or P,the exposure is derived from the flash as the mian light source. So, in tungsten lighting, the warmth of the tungsten lighting will be more visible if the shot was shot in Av, rather than P or auto. The shadows in the images make them look like flash was the main light - you're sure you were in AWB??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    OK, one more try
    A screen layer to lighten,
    a color/hue saturation layer to get rid of the red
    a contrast mask layer
    and a levels adjustment layer
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    OK I gave it my 30 second quick fix, in PS, using PhotoTune: SkinTune and aftermarket filter.

In SkinTune used Caucasian with a 48% saturation (custom setting just for this filter) (not knowing what she looks like in real life, here is what I got in literaly 20 seconds) and adjusted a small color skew with curves.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Hal, I love a challenge, here's my try. PSP9, desat ~-30, mild contrast, levels. Removed distracting straw.
    23313759-L.jpg
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help. I've got a lot of work ahead of me...and a lot to learn. clap.gifclap.gif