Motorcycle Trials

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited March 26, 2009 in Sports
Here are a few of my favorite shots from our last meet in Moab. Of these I took a few and my girlfriend took a few. She took over 1000pics for the day. Most got tossed, but there are still 100s of good ones. It takes forever sorting through them.

We started out with the kit lens on the D90. The 18-105. It worked perfect for this type of event. You are pretty close to the course, if not right in it. I switched out to my 80-200 mid day and got a few great shots but quickly realized that the big gun was total overkill for this. At 80mm it was so close that I missed a lot. But I also got a few of my best shots with it. So I went back to the 18-105. It was ideal. From the processing I I figure with this light I need to dial back the EV a bit. A lot of shots with white shirts and helmets were a bit blown out. These were taken with the vivid color mode. I might try just normal too. Some of the colors especially reds are a bit much.

Thanks for looking.

486095619_F8RL4-L.jpg

486095693_hJVx3-L.jpg

486095743_iTYgh-L.jpg

486095799_ZaxCb-L.jpg

486095528_MBmdP-L.jpg
7501837_FeCgo#486095619_F8RL4

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Great pictures! These guys are extremely skilled at what they do. Amazing balance!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Nice pictures, normally see trials pictures over here taken in forests with lots of mud, seem a bit strange looking at them in the sun and on bare rocks

If trials interest you then watch this little vid, its the 12 time world champion Dougie Lampkin playing indoors on a bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iBSwdSf-yc

Tim
  • CdubyaCdubya Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2009
    Very nice photos, but...
    ...what really impressed me was the fact that there is actually someone doing that kind of riding wearing a 'T-SHIRT'!!!!!! And no visible scars either, so he's gotta be good! Laughing.gif. Those are really very good shots.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    It amazes me about the lack of gear on most riders. On my dirt bike I wear a body armor shirt, full face helmet, and kneepads. For trials I wear a skateboard helmet and kneepads. I just go really slow. But I don't do big obstacles. These guys are jumping up and down some big rocks. But they still go SLOW. I think it is because of the slow speed and the effort that you get overheated easy too. On dirtbikes even when it is hot in the summer you get going faster to cool down.

I think some shots could use a fill flash, but, I don't think that is a good plan for competition. I will need to try it out during a practice day. When everyone knows they are about to get the flash in the face.
  • CdubyaCdubya Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2009
    Took another look at 'em, Z, and the only one that would need anything at all might be to pump a bit of contrast into #2. Other than that, I think they are great.

And the only part about those guys going slow down the rocks? I'm usually on a Harley Fatboy, and the two times I've gone down was a Zero MPH crash. I can promise you that if one of 'em hits a rock the right way, they will at least have elbow pads on the next time.

Good shooting, and good riding!
  • polyyapolyya Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    486095743ityghl.jpg

This is my favourite, ladscape, action... Love it. I have adjusted a little color and light, I like dark photos I can not avoid it. I hope you have not bothered to do so, I hope you like it. Great job buddy