Daytime Moon shot with D60 & 125ETX

JPerkinsJPerkins Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited March 7, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Just got my T ring adapter for my meade Etx 125 and snapped a quick moon shot.

486302390_uAzL5-XL.jpg

I know it doesn't match some of you guys stuff, I just thought the detail was remarkable.

Comments

• GregMGregM Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2009
    WOW. Great shot. thumb.gif

Greg
  • anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    That's incredible to me! I took my first moon shot tonight @ 200mm and it is nothing like this! I had to Google your rig to see the specs...
    :jawdrop
    Joe Ercoli
    My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    JPerkins wrote:
    Just got my T ring adapter for my meade Etx 125 and snapped a quick moon shot.

I know it doesn't match some of you guys stuff, I just thought the detail was remarkable.

Ohhhhhhhh my goodness that is BIG!!!! wow even eek7.gif
    Great detail, hey if this is just a quick shot, can't wait to see what else your going to show us clap.gif :ivar

Don't be so hard on yourself, remember everyone here didn't start off where they are right now, they all had to learn nod.gif

Excellent shot JPerkins thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Excellent shot indeed. Great detail. thumb.gifthumb Have you tried a B&W conversion? Sometimes for day moon shots that really makes them pop.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Very impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JPerkinsJPerkins Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Wow guys, thanks for all the comments. I was pleased with the detail even though this is my first dslr. At first I couldn't get it to prime focus but I kept at it.

This setup is remarkable for long distance photos. You can get a decent meade with tripod, computer controller and t-adapter for about $800 if you look hard. Its very difficult to get the whole moon in one shot but I'm going to try some stitching techniques. I couldn't get the moon at night because it was so high in the sky but that will come.

My first attempts at astro-photography was with a nikon coolpix shooting through the eyepiece (afocal) and it wasn't bad but I knew I wanted more. Here's an early attempt with a point and shoot afocal... That's jupiter and some of her moons.
    442297386_kDow5-L.jpg

I'm pretty sure I can do better. My next mount is going to be a german equatorial but I've got to save up about 2500.

Later.