Reversed 50mm on Sigma 105 EX DG

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited March 13, 2009 in Holy Macro
***If you have any kind of problem looking at crazy colour patterns, be wary of looking at these***

First time I've ever tried this. Took the Sigma 105 and held my nifty fifty reversed in front of it.

Then took a few shots at varying magnification from 1:4 - 1:1.

They're not amazing but still, not too bad for a first attempt. My eyes are about to fall out though after looking at them. All hand held which is almost impossible with the non-existent DoF

High Definition image - 1080p on a Flat Panel TV - The only decent one I got of that screen

486347893_TtHqM-O.jpg

The rest are from a standard CRT monitor
486348176_rYY4A-O.jpg
486348249_znnz2-O.jpg

This I think is the best of the bunch. It was taken with less magnification. The others were all at around 1:1
486348075_Rc6J4-O.jpg
486348317_o6BFw-O.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Good ones- you get a max of about 3:1 magnification doing that.
    Brian V.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Cheers Brian :)
  • RPFhotoRPFhoto Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2009
    These are really cool. I would love some more info on how to accomplish this. A link to a guide, perhaps.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    IPClark wrote:
    ***If you have any kind of problem looking at crazy colour patterns, be wary of looking at these***

First time I've ever tried this. Took the Sigma 105 and held my nifty fifty reversed in front of it.

Then took a few shots at varying magnification from 1:4 - 1:1.

They're not amazing but still, not too bad for a first attempt. My eyes are about to fall out though after looking at them. All hand held which is almost impossible with the non-existent DoF

High Definition image - 1080p on a Flat Panel TV - The only decent one I got of that screen

The rest are from a standard CRT monitor

This I think is the best of the bunch. It was taken with less magnification. The others were all at around 1:1

Hi Ian, ohhhhhh boy these patterns really mess with my vision eek7.gif
    Didn't know a HD Panel looked like that.

In the second shot you can make out larger shadows of circles in a line.

These are pretty darn cool, except if I keep looking at them its like very things moving rolleyes1.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited March 13, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Ian, ohhhhhh boy these patterns really mess with my vision eek7.gif
    Didn't know a HD Panel looked like that.

In the second shot you can make out larger shadows of circles in a line.

These are pretty darn cool, except if I keep looking at them its like very things moving rolleyes1.gif .... Skippy :D

hehe, Cheers Skippy. :) They really do cause some eye strain. However, imagine all those hours in the workplace staring at a monitor. Although you can't see the individual pixels, you're still looking at them.
    edited March 13, 2009
    RPFhoto wrote:
    These are really cool. I would love some more info on how to accomplish this. A link to a guide, perhaps.

Hi RF. I didn't use a guide at all.

All I did was hold the 50mm lens reversed position (that is, the interior part of the lens and electrical connectors pointing at the subject) against the 105 Macro lens and got up real close and personal (about 10mm away) from the TV / Monitor.

Reverse Adapter Rings are available so the lens can be mounted to the front of the other one :)

Flickr has a lot of "Reverse 50mm" stuff