Options

New Sigma lens gone haywire?

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited May 28, 2005 in Cameras
I finally broke down and bought a Sigma 70-300mm lens, Friday. You all know ya have to press the shutter-button down half way to get it to focus. Well, I get home and connect it to the camera and I have to press the button twice every dang time to get it to focus. Why is this?

My first lens is a Quantaray 28-90mm that came with my Nikon N75. It works great. I only have to press the button once. But this Sigma which is better than Q-Ray seems to have a focusing problem. I guess this Sigma is a defect.:scratch

I thought I'd ask you guys first before I take it back and trade it in for a newer one. I just don't want them giving me any looks like I broke it or something,`cos I didn't. I can't take it back`til Monday, but they may be closed then`cos of labor day.:rolleyes

~ZR~
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 28, 2005
    I finally broke down and bought a Sigma 70-300mm lens, Friday. You all know ya have to press the shutter-button down half way to get it to focus. Well, I get home and connect it to the camera and I have to press the button twice every dang time to get it to focus. Why is this?

My first lens is a Quantaray 28-90mm that came with my Nikon N75. It works great. I only have to press the button once. But this Sigma which is better than Q-Ray seems to have a focusing problem. I guess this Sigma is a defect.headscratch.gif

I thought I'd ask you guys first before I take it back and trade it in for a newer one. I just don't want them giving me any looks like I broke it or something,`cos I didn't. I can't take it back`til Monday, but they may be closed then`cos of labor day.rolleyes1.gif

~ZR~

I think I would want to exchange that lens for another one. I have never heard of a lens not focusing with a half- shutter press, if AF was switched on properly.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    And take the body... to check the replacement lens with.