D200 vs. D300

CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
edited March 9, 2009 in Cameras
I know, I know, I'm sure there's other discussions regarding the two models, but my brain is fried from trying to learn more about each, and reading opinions..
I'll keep it short and sweet. Which camera would be the best value? Is the D300 worth investing in, or is the D200 living up to it's rave reviews and still a player in the game? I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly of each! Thanks in advance!:scratch
"Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
-Marilyn Monroe

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Weeeeeeeell the D200 can be had for $600 (best Buy) upto $1200 (ebay).....

Personally I am considering a move to the D200 first and then either the D300 or the DXXX (if Nikon comes out with a new crop camera ...................soon)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 7, 2009
    If I were considering a move to Nikon, I think that the high-ISO reach of the D300 plus the more comprehensive AF would sway me towards that camera as a base crop Nikon camera.

Compare the 2 cameras side-by-side:

(About halfway down the page)
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/
    http://www.dustylens.com/d200_vs_d300.htm

Then look at comparable high-ISO images:

(Towards the bottom)
    http://www.dustylens.com/d200_vs_d300.htm
    http://www.nikondigital.org/articles/nikon_high_iso_test/

The D300 has a much better viewfinder and LCD display and a 14 bit mode, even if it is slow. The D300 also has a more durable shutter, rated at 150k actuations vs 100k for the D200.

It's not that the Nikon D200 is that bad of a camera, it is not. It's just that the Nikon D300 is that much better.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JPerkinsJPerkins Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    I'm wondering if its 3 times better. :)

That 599 deal from bestbuy is just so darn tempting. I would have sprung already if I had not just bought the D60. I'm already feeling like I would like more features, especially when it comes to lenses.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    If you can get a GOOD deal (and not from one of the Scary Places) on a D300 --- go for it. Otherwise if $$ is tight, the D200 deal at Best Buy right now is INCREDIBLE and you can use the extra $$ for some extra sharp extra fast glass (if needed and not already had).

Course, I caved in and now own both, so whom am I to give an opinion. ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
    //Leah
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Give it a few more months and Nikon will release a new Dxxx and the D300 will drop in price.
    It is time for a new crop sensor. The full frame is already into number 2. The D3x and the upcoming D700x, so you know the 300x or 300h or 400 is just around the corner.
    Steve

Website
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    IF you read Thom Hogan's review of the D300 he does a comparison of the D300's features vs the D200.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Thank you all for the responses! I think for now I'm still on the prowl (if we had a Best Buy in Saskatchewan with that good of a deal on the D200 I'd be purchasing it tomorrow lol). I'm not in a HUGE rush, in a perfect world I'd have a new body by summer (as I'm going to 2nd at multiple weddings).. I guess I'll just wait it out and see what Nikon comes up with and\or if a really good deal pops up! Once again, thank you!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    I just switched over to Nikon and had considered the same choice between the D200 and the D300. For me starting weddings my priority was having backups so with my budget as it is, I was able to get 2 D200s and a D80 all with low clicks for about the same price as most D300s were going for used! I'm trying to put a little more money in lenses this time around and wait to upgrade to the D300/700 in another year or so after I raise some more funds. I've been really happy with the D200s I've got and while the D300 is really sweet and if I only needed one camera I probably would have gotten it as it is I'm VERY satisfied with the D200. you really can't go wrong with either camera!
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    no affiliation, but someone posted a D300 and 18-135 on kijiji today locally for what looked like a reasonable, if not low, price. May be worth checking out, maybe not. I shot you a PM with the link just in case.