Options

Event photography, Sigma 18-125 3.5 vs Tamron 28-75 2.8

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
edited May 31, 2005 in Cameras
In event photography changing lenses can lose you the shot. Control over depth of field can also make or break the shot.

I understand that the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 has probably better optics than the Sigma 18-125 f3.5, but would you rather trade ultimate quality for the extra versatility the Sigma offers.

I'm looking for any and all ideas?

Thanks,

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    I have the Tamron and love it...and I have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and love it too. The sigma you are looking at is not in the same class of lens. And no, I would not choose it.

It's 3.5 on the wide end, it's 5.6 when you zoom...and that's 2 stops of light difference...not to mention the difference in the quality of the glass.

The 2.8 will allow you to shoot without flash in situations where flash isn't allowed or desired.

I'd rather crop a shot with my Tamron in order to "zoom"...than deal with a consumer class lens.

Not to mention that Tamron will probably focus a lot faster, more accurately. And at 2.8, your view of the scene will be brighter through the view finder.

Lee
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Good advice Lee. Nice perspective on zoom vs. lens speed.

Erich
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    In event photography, speed is everything. So go for bright lenses. And experience will help mitigate the down time of lens swapping, anticipating what you will need before you need it type of deal. Yes, it is still a pain, but it's not the deal breaker that a slow lens can be. I would rather swap between fast lenses, than to keep a slow lens on the camera.

And as mentioned, and not to be overlooked or minimized is the focus performance of a fast lens compared to the inability of a slower lens to focus in low light situations. If you can't focus, the zoom range does not amount to a hill of beans mwink.gif
    ziggy53 wrote:
    In event photography changing lenses can lose you the shot. Control over depth of field can also make or break the shot.

I understand that the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 has probably better optics than the Sigma 18-125 f3.5, but would you rather trade ultimate quality for the extra versatility the Sigma offers.

I'm looking for any and all ideas?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Quality Glass
    Another issue to bring up here is the concept of "quality glass". A lens is to a camera system what speakers are to a stereo system.

If you buy a great receiver with lots of watts etc., but put a pair of cheap speakers on it....you are not going to have great sound.

Consumer grade lenses are just fine....for consumers. Enthusiasts and professionals need better glass.

Better glass:
    - focuses faster
    - produces sharper images
    - produces images with better color
    - last longer

We all can't affort the best lenses. I have no L lenses. But I do buy quality lenses from Sigma (EX series) and Tamron (SP series). And I have a coupld Canon 1.8 primes (but alas, not their wonderful 1.2 and 1.4 primes).

Don't let the small numbers fool you. The difference between an f2.8 lens and an f4 lens is DOUBLE the light. That's why an f2.8 lens is considerable more expensive, larger and heavier than an f4 lens.

Yet...an f2.8 lens will work in lower light, focus faster....and deal with 1.4x and 2x converters much better.

The difference between f2.0 and f 1.2 is 1 and a half times the light gathering ability. The numbers look like they are real close, but the quality difference between the lenses is significant.

Then there is the DOF abilities that wider aperatures bring to the table. Any lens can shoot at f8....but you can't get those wonderful narrow dof photos with a consumer grade lens.

So...buy the best you can afford. There IS a significant image quality difference.

Lee
  • Options
    Malaxos1Malaxos1 Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    I use the Tamron for weddings all the time. I also use it for studio work as well. I have a number of lenses but this is the one that stays on the camera most of the time. I recently went to a wordflow seminar by Wll Crocket and he told the audience that we were going to think that he is crazy, but the lenses he uses mostly is the Tamron 28-75. He called it Tamron's diamond in the Ruff...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    Margaretville New York (Catskill Mnts)
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    if i had a dollar every time i said something good about my 28-75mm i'd be able to buy another lens. they really should have a referral program, that'd be great.

it's a great lens at a great price. i'm too lazy to re-type everything i love about it
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    im looking into the sigma 24-70 f2.8 (am placing an order right now in fact) because i want something a little widern than the tamrons 28mm. I am getting it for 371 dollars shipped as well. :D
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
    edited May 31, 2005
    Sigma 24-70mm, f2.8
    Chase wrote:
    im looking into the sigma 24-70 f2.8 (am placing an order right now in fact) because i want something a little widern than the tamrons 28mm. I am getting it for 371 dollars shipped as well. :D
    I gather that this is one of the better Sigma lenses and you get a decent macro as well!

Anybody else have this lense?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums