Review Please: Light, Reflection, Suggestions

jacyjoypalsjacyjoypals Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited March 15, 2009 in Technique
please delete

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    I've moved your post to technique, since you're not asking for critique of your best work for the Whipping Post, but for advice on how to shoot this better, which is better placed in Technique.

Also, you need to turn on external links for the gallery, as the image is not visible. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2009
    Thank You.
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2009
    Update to link
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've moved your post to technique, since you're not asking for critique of your best work for the Whipping Post, but for advice on how to shoot this better, which is better placed in Technique.

Also, you need to turn on external links for the gallery, as the image is not visible. thumb.gif

Hi again, I have turned on external links and share. If you cannot see the image now, please let me know as it appears for me. Thanks.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 8, 2009
    This photo of "Cody Jumeau" was shot during day near window. I am working with light, reflection and various settings on camera and how to best capture. She is my test for the next 120 I must do for a portfolio/brochure. Suggestions, helps and any advice is greatly appreciated. Mega thanks.

468388780_TXhFw-XL-1.jpg

EXIF
    http://joypals.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=468388780&ImageKey=TXhFw

Welcome to dgrin, jacy.

I am not sure I understand your questions entirely. You have to shoot 120 separate frames for a class or something?

The light on the image you posted is warm and soft, and seems correctly color balanced.

Unfortunately, the focus seems to be on the veil at the left of the image, and the doll's eyes are not in adequate focus for me. If your intent to create a soft focus effect then you did good, but since the veil is in sharp focus on the left, I don't think that was your intent.

What is your understanding of basic photographic controls - aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus?

Are you shooting in Manual mode, Av mode, or something else?

Do you choose a single AF point to lock focus on, or are you letting the camera choose an AF point it "calculates" is correct?

Please, answer these questions and the readers of this forum may be able to offer you some suggestions to help with your project.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    To me, the veil on the right side of the image is blown-out, way too bright. Its actually a bit distracting to my eye. I'd say you have too much light on that side of the image. And the doll's eyes are soft. To me your second photo is much better than the first.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ScrubsScrubs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Hi Jacyjoy,

Second pic looks much better. I would also maybe try experiment with a few different angles as the doll may appear a little
    domineering with the angle facing up so much.

to create a bit more shadow/light detail and to give you that romantic period feel you could try
    For a classic style lighting set-up such as the 'Rembrandt' technique. This would be achieved by angling
    the face just until one of the ears is lost, then on that 'narrow' side of the face have the light source hit it from high up
    ( you may have to lower the doll from the window)

If done correctly you should see a small 'upside down triangle' of light form under the eye of the broad side of the face
    (the side facing camera) with the tip meeting the bottom of the nose and the narrow side evenly lit.

You could then use a large piece of white paper or reflector to even out the broad side of the face.

Or you could swap the process round and have the main light source hitting the broad side of the face instead creating
    something like this:

self-portraitbyrembrandt.jpg

(notice the triangular shape of light under the eye not facing the window.)

The trick to this lighting is mainly the height of the light.
    If any of this interests you - do a search on 'chiaroscuro lighting'
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    New Photos with Changes in Lighting-Placement
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    I'm loving the first two photos clap.gif

Great work! only niggle I would say is the focus is a little soft
    on the face/eyes still - I guess your shooting wide open at the lowest
    f number? because the hair is in focus in pic one and the dress on pic 2
    But it's no biggie, It's not terribly offensive - at least in my eyes... but like I say a little niggle.

I find the framing and composistion of the first two shots much more
    interesting that the landscapes. vast improvement I think.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    the shadows on the faces in the 1st 2 shots are very nicethumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    Qarik, I am with you.

I am not sure that the original second image is more attractive - It really depends on what your criteria are, I think.

I find the first image in this thread much more attractive, blown highlights on the right, soft focus on the eyes, and all. The second original image may be technically sharper and more informative of what the doll looks like, for a catalog, but I find the first much more pleasing with its softer lighting and shadows, than the stark, shadowless lighting of the second image.ne_nau.gif

I like the newer shots even better. Sharp enough, but with the soft lighting with nice soft shadows as well.

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Here's a couple of examples of lighting that might work

Josh's image in this post
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=995281&postcount=31

and this, an image I took at a recent wedding reception
    348146819_B56xx-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    I am in pursuit of lighting tutorials/challenges here that would help me with my lighting technique as well. If you would point me in the right direction for those links, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

http://forum.montezucker.com/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=8344

I think this will be perfect for you...All the way down to the model involved
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    New Photos & Lighting Questions
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    They are getting better every time Jacy! thumb.gif

Liking these ones very much - my favourites so far - far more shadow/light detail creating a more interesting capture.
    Also fond of the framing.

I don't mind the shaded portion of the wall in the first pic, remember that we need to work the shadows as much as the light.
    But it is - at the end of the day, down to taste also, so If you feel this is bothersome - it could be easily avoided in future by positioning
    the doll a little further away from the wall - leaving some space behind her - If you could improvise means of propping up the doll
    that way that is. but this could interfere with the relaxed posture that the shot you have portrays.

Really good work here and great to see how it has progressed leaps and bounds from the rather flat lighting in the first initial posting.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    I'll look forward to seeing them. Like you say - they make excellent practice subjects that can very easily be transferred in to a real life setup.

May I suggest an excellent book - 'Lighting, Science & Magic' (Third Edition)
    By Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, & Paul Fuqua.

You Will probably hear this book suggested a lot more when aware of if, but it is considered a kind of definitive guide when it comes
    to photographic lighting. Providing you with the knowledge of the simple laws that light adheres to. Make sure you get the third edition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=cm_lmf_tit_6_rsrsrs0
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    I like the lighting on these very much, and the color balance seems dead on correct. These I like a lot. Quite attractive dolls.

I suspect shooting active children may be somewhat more interesting and challenging than such compliant dolls. Eg kids rarely hold still:D

• Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    I'll give you a blow by blow on these as that's my nature. But first, let me say 15524779-Ti.gif with PF about the light balance and exposure - these seem to be spot on! thumb.gif
    1. The shadow is, obviously, caused by the doll being illuminated by window light. I don't see any particular problem with it. I don't think it detracts from the image. If you are concerned about it, a second reflector, appropriately angled to avoid lighting the doll, could reduce/eliminate this. I think I would supply a bit more fill to the shaded side of the doll as well. If this were a portrait, I don't think I would worry about it, but it's a product shot - a little different.
    2. This is, by far, the best of this series. The only thing I might change is to stop down the aperture a bit more for more DOF. On a portrait, what you have would be great. Product - need to see the second eye I'm thinking. Crop may be a bit tight?ne_nau.gif
    3. Light not as good as #3, DOF about spot on. Crop?ne_nau.gif
    4. Lighting too harsh. Not much else to recommend it either, especially when compared to 1 through 3.
    5. I take it back - this is the pick!thumb.gif. Simply gorgeous light and DOF and exposure. Crop a bit tight I think. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    please delete
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    I am pleased you liked #5, that seems to be a popular one and IMHO I believe that the Carl Zeiss lens has something do with it too. :D

Mega thanks!

Aha! you just answered my next question... I was gonna ask what glass you had on there.

Tis a corker, which one is it?