Update: Thanks to all for the help!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    OK, first time. Here we go:
    (I expected the images to be visible in the message, not the links. Anyone know what I did wrong?)

Edit your message and change "URL" to "IMG" in all four places that you'll see it (one at the beginning of each link and one at the end of each link).
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    Cones, huh?

OK. I'll see what I can round up. So to speak.
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    Thwack wrote:
    Edit your message and change "URL" to "IMG" in all four places that you'll see it (one at the beginning of each link and one at the end of each link).

It already says IMG!!! I followed the directions posted. Clicked on the little yellow icon above. I must have copied the URL wrong. (I'm on a mac and couldn't follow the directions exactly--I had to make some of it up!!)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    It already says IMG!!! I followed the directions posted. Clicked on the little yellow icon above. I must have copied the URL wrong. (I'm on a mac and couldn't follow the directions exactly--I had to make some of it up!!)
    You need the full address, all the way down to the "xxxxx.jpg" In smugmug, it'll look something like this: http://kbasa.smugmug.com/photos/2306930-L.jpg

You won't get it out of the address bar, I don't believe. In Windows, you right click on the image and it'll cough the image location up.
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    kbasa wrote:
    You need the full address, all the way down to the "xxxxx.jpg" In smugmug, it'll look something like this: http://kbasa.smugmug.com/photos/2306930-L.jpg

You won't get it out of the address bar, I don't believe. In Windows, you right click on the image and it'll cough the image location up.

Well, "fortunately", I'm not on windose, but Mac. I can't figure out how to get the image imbedded. Any fellow mac-aphites who can help me?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, "fortunately", I'm not on windose, but Mac. I can't figure out how to get the image imbedded. Any fellow mac-aphites who can help me?
    Hi, I'm not a Mac user but I don't think it makes any difference,
    Go into smugmug and click on the picture you want to post, once its opened there will be a button towards the bottom of the page "share with friends, forums" click on it, on the bottom of the page that comes up will be links to the various sizes available. Copy the link for the desired size and then paste it into the image box in DGrin....
    Cheers
    Jon
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2004
    I'm on a Mac...try this: Control-Click on your image and select "Open Image in New Window", then copy the URL from that page and paste it between the IMG tags:

4060975-M.jpg

4061005-M.jpg

You pasted in a link to a html page that contains your image, but you need just the image itself. The secret is to check that your link ends with ".jpg" and not ".htm".

I use the "medium" sized version of the picture most of the time. Your originals are huge and will kill anybody on dial up. If folks want the original, it's easy to figure out where to find them (just replace the "-M" with "-O" near the end of the URL for the image).
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Hi, I'm not a Mac user but I don't think it makes any difference,
    Go into smugmug and click on the picture you want to post, once its opened there will be a button towards the bottom of the page "share with friends, forums" click on it, on the bottom of the page that comes up will be links to the various sizes available. Copy the link for the desired size and then paste it into the image box in DGrin....
    Cheers
    Jon
    David:
    I too, am a Mac user and I ran into this problem full and square in the face just over a week ago. As you have found there is no keystroke click on the Mac, especially if you are using Safari or the Mac version of Internet Explorer.
    I did find two solutions:
    One was given by "Baldy" the site owner, and that is the same as you have rec'd,: Go to the "Share with Friends" in the Pull Down list below the opened photo.
    The other was a suggestion from my DaD, Download Mozilla 1.7b for Mac OS 10. I did, and I must say that it has made a great difference. It allows for the Click Drop Down list to appear, with Properties at the bottom, and also allows for more ease of movement within the site. When you preview post, you will get the WYSIWYG right off. With my current dial up, it took me 54 minutes to down load, well worth it.
    Also, if you are still having trouble, go here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=11697
    You'll find the threads on uploading to the site.

Hope this helps you as much as Sid helped me! Just sorry I came on so late, this morning.
    Bonne Chance!
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    I went to town Friday night and they were having a car show. Found an interesting cone. Not a worthy shot but I've got to start with something.

High Performance Cone

4043839-L.jpg

Here's the "big" picture.

4043836-L.jpg
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    Road trip time. I'm heading out on the overcast day to go find me some cones...

I'll be back.

-Doug
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2004
    No dainty pine cones here...
    Nice pics of various Pine Cones, Fir Cones, etc. But they're all so tiny and dainty...here's a shot of a "real" cone. :D

4074308-M.jpg

Yes, that's a normal 12-oz Coke can propping it up (and dwarfed by the cone).

I call that one, "Papa Cone". We already saw a bunch of "Mama Cones" posted. If I can find a Redwood tree, I'll get a pic of "Baby Cone".
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2004
    I happened upon a cone rich environment this morning. A Warbirds Show.

Chrome Cone

4073777-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2004
    Exhausted

4073917-L.jpg
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    One Crayon

4075362-M.jpg

Lots of Crayons...and a Thumbprint :lol

4075361-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    Okay, this is what I came up with today. Took a ride out to Wachusett Reservoir, Clinton, MASS...

-Doug

4076310-M.jpg

4076311-M.jpg

4076312-M.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    Reading Crown Court

4076976-L.jpg
  • Options
    ArgusphotoArgusphoto Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    St. Paul's Cathedral, Birmingham, AL
    Inspiring Cones.

4081791-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2004
    My Mother's Day shots...
    Pastels
    4082028-M.jpg

Moltres
    4082025-L.jpg

Rapunzel
    4082026-L.jpg

Jack in the Cone
    4082027-L.jpg

Israeli 5.56mm Ammo
    4087025-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2004
    Mother's Day Cones
    Spent Mothers' Day with my husband, Terry and the our twin sons, MaTT & LuC, at the Virginia Living Museum, where we were on a search for cones. Here are a few of what I have ready...

"Coyote, scratchin'"
    4097698-L.jpg

"What Cone?"
    4097699-L.jpg

"2004 a Turtle Odyssey"
    4097811-L.jpg

"Beauty and the Beak"
    4097748-L.jpg

"Slow Cone"
    4097796-L.jpg

"Nose Cone"
    4097783-L.jpg

Feeble attempt at humor... Sorry.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2004
    Pickup Broom
    A very delicate cone. 4119003-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2004
    Very nice!
    Fish, I really like the lighting, coloration, saturation and 3-d appearance of this image.
    The light reflection is well placed.
    Nice shot...

ginette

Israeli 5.56mm Ammo
    4087025-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2004
    Oh By the Way Fish... I was noticing that there are not nearly as many "entries" for this assignment as last weeks?...
    ginette

• Options
    edited May 11, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Oh By the Way Fish... I was noticing that there are not nearly as many "entries" for this assignment as last weeks?...
    ginette

Ginette,

First off...thanks for the kind words on my image. It's still kinda early in the week, so we will likely see an uptick as it gets closer to the end of the assignment. And that's okay...it's making people think and shoot.

Cheers,
    fish
  • Options
    Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    ginette

This is a lot tougher assignment than last week. I've been busy and cones just don't pop up in front of you every where you turn. I'm struggling to get something I like.

David
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2004
    Ubiquitous cones
    This is a lot tougher assignment than last week. I've been busy and cones just don't pop up in front of you every where you turn. I'm struggling to get something I like.

David
    David,
    This is just what I was getting at, in a round about, under the the table sort of way. I need to give and receive the light jab now and again...
    Smile,

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    David,
    This is just what I was getting at, in a round about, under the the table sort of way. I need to give and receive the light jab now and again...
    Smile,

ginette
    umph.gif Point taken.

I'll make a really easy assignment this Friday. Maybe..."air". naughty.gif
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2004
    My entry for this weeks assignment. Taken, hmm ...about 1/2 hour ago

Snow Cone

4137869-L.jpg

Snow on May 11, ya gotta love spring in Alberta.

Tim
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2004
    Push Pin
    Here goes my first effort...4140150-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com