Options

Gradient Blend

B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited March 8, 2009 in Finishing School
I have 2 images I have placed side by side in a "Before" and "After" format.
I took the "Before" image, extended the canvas size and placed the "After" photo next to it. I want to use a gradual transition between the 2 photos. I have tried Gaussian Blur and a gradient tool but neither has been very successful. I would appreciate any suggestions. I am using PS4.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 8, 2009
    B643 wrote:
    I have 2 images I have placed side by side in a "Before" and "After" format.
    I took the "Before" image, extended the canvas size and placed the "After" photo next to it. I want to use a gradual transition between the 2 photos. I have tried Gaussian Blur and a gradient tool but neither has been very successful. I would appreciate any suggestions. I am using PS4.

Could you show us the two images and a rough version of what you are trying to accomplish? How to do it sort of depends on what you are working with.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Could you show us the two images and a rough version of what you are trying to accomplish? How to do it sort of depends on what you are working with.

Here are the 2 images...I wanted to show the same drop of maple sugar coming out of the tap. The transition between the 2 pictures is too apparent for my taste.

487252350_TLJZE-M.jpg
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 8, 2009
    I'm guessing this is the unsuccessful attempt that you posted. I'm not sure why an abrupt transition is bad here. The right and left sides of each frame are dissimilar, so there's no such thing as a "natural" blend. But if you want one to "flow" into the other, I would try placing them on separate layers with the left frame on top, aligned to the left and the other aligned to the right. Overlap them a bit, then add a narrow gradient mask to the right edge of the top layer. Crop and season to taste.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited March 8, 2009
    These are two separate images insofar as the drop is concerned, there is nothing really to blend from one to the other. The rest of the image does not change from frame to frame so blending offers nothing new.

I think you needed more frames of this drop moving to really capture the movement in a single still frame.

Just my opinion, you may well disagree......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    These are two separate images insofar as the drop is concerned, there is nothing really to blend from one to the other. The rest of the image does not change from frame to frame so blending offers nothing new.

I think you needed more frames of this drop moving to really capture the movement in a single still frame.

Just my opinion, you may well disagree......

Thanks... Your opinion is greatly appreciated.