Fashion club photo shoot

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited March 9, 2009 in People
First, I want to thank everyone who'd helped me in my previous threads with light meter problems and photoshop questions :)

So these are just some of the ones I'd been able to pp. I've learned so much by asking questions and lurking, but I would appreciate CC on framing/pp/light/etc. very much. Specially if it looks like I went overboard with Photoshop lol.

Also, I'm very much aware that these are kind of soft. I can only say I got self-conscious while photographing, got nervous, and forgot to bump up the ISO. They were running 2 hours late. I'd brought two flashes and a big reflector since they assured me they had someone ready to assist me. When this assistant came, he had 2 camera bodies and a lens and actually intended to shoot as well...I'd never shot with someone else before. The pictures with the bricks as bg are taken when we were simultaneously shooting. There was barely enough light, and we were constantly trying not to trip on each other :dunno

486830829_ueyzW-L-1.jpg
Her skirt's not looking so great. It's not as defined as the rest of her and I will definitely be fixing that.

486858244_gPF9U-L.jpg

486876227_CTz37-L.jpg
Yea, it's a nostril shot. But hopefully it's not too unflattering :/

487391453_GfrV5-L-1.jpg

487391129_4ZSbe-L.jpg

487392028_7TQgd-L.jpg

Thanks so much <3

Comments

• ScrubsScrubs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Great work! looking good thumb.gif

Loving the colours

A gradient ND filter (from bottom to top) would help with gaining a bit
    more detail/color that is lost from the skirt of number 1 like this:

Hope you don't mind me doing this. it's just a crude 5 sec example - Let me know when you have
    seen this post and explanation and I will delete this photo.
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Scrubs wrote:
    Great work! looking good thumb.gif

Loving the colours

A gradient ND filter (from bottom to top) would help with gaining a bit
    more detail/color that is lost from the skirt of number 1 like this:
    Oh, I don't mind it at all! Thanks so much for showing me (my photoshop skills are still at best a 4/10, so it really helps to see)! I'll google how to apply a virtual ND filter and maybe post the result tomorrow afternoon.
  • ScrubsScrubs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    No problem... here you go.. I found a tutorial for you.

http://www.photosbysharon.com/-/photosbysharon/article.asp?ID=592
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    hi marikris.

Just a few comments. I am going to be honest here..the shots aren't bad but I think they could use some improvement.

1) The lighting very appears flat in most of the shot..especially #2.

2) also I am not digging the post processing on 2 levels...1st as a matter of taste I don't think they enhance the shots all that much. #2 the skin appears too orange, too dull in #3(i think this one would look good in BW), too yellow in #4. I do like natural look #5 the best but the carpet is ruining it for me.

2ndly every shot is processed differently so the set lacks cohesion imo. I would stick to 1 or 2 ideas for PP and stick to them and perfect them for this.

3) the posing is nice in #1 and #3 and #6 (this one has the strongest composition). It looks forced in #2 and #4.

4) good job on the lack of shadows on the walls though I wish you would have bokehed the brick wall some (alternatively have them stand further from the wall)

5) I think the crop is too tight on #4 and too loose on #1.

6) lastly with the exception of #5, all the shots are torso shots. You could use some more variety with some headshots and or full length shots. Get some legs in there!thumb.gif You could also tilt the camera so not all the shots are level to add some dynamic framing.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com