DX & FX Lens for my D700

shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited March 15, 2009 in Cameras
I'm looking to buy some new glass for my D700. Of course with it being a FX camera I want a lens that will not crop out my pixels. Not to mention it's annoying trying to fit your shot into the DX box.

I saw a nice lens online for a DX. A Nikon 18-200mm VR. Can anyone recommend a FX lens that comes close to this range? I hear most of the wide angle lens are for DX only.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    I hear most of the wide angle lens are for DX only.

I own a very nice 14-24mm Nikkor lens. Sigma offers a 12-24mm. I don't know of any DX lens offering the same range without going fisheye.

As to your other question. Check out the Tamron 28-200 or 28-300. Not as sharp as I like, but offers a good range.
    Steve

Website
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    There are definitely no nikkor lens that are FF and offer anythign close to that range. The largest zoom range would be the 70-200mm that I can thibk of but you totally mis the wide side. Though with such a nice camera I would be hesitant to put any lens on there that was not a "pro level" lens.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    There are definitely no nikkor lens that are FF and offer anythign close to that range. The largest zoom range would be the 70-200mm that I can thibk of but you totally mis the wide side. Though with such a nice camera I would be hesitant to put any lens on there that was not a "pro level" lens.

Yea i just came across the 70-200. Highly recommended from my research. So I'll try to find the best deal I can get on that. 2.8 all the way through and has VR.Thanks a bunch guys.
  • rnoursernourse Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I saw a nice lens online for a DX. A Nikon 18-200mm VR. Can anyone recommend a FX lens that comes close to this range? I hear most of the wide angle lens are for DX only.

I've purchased two lenses for just this reason... general walkabout/travel lenses for my D700 that wont crop. Both are out of production units but both are FX. Unfortunately neither has VR.

Nikkor 28-105 3.5-4.5 with micro/macro capabilities. Paid $150
    Nikkor 28-200 3.5-5.6 G ED. (I dont have this one in my posession yet). Paid under $200

There are several schools of thought on using these older lenses on a FF sensor in terms of are they up to the job. I think thats missing the point. Sometimes (like when I travel) I dont have the option to carry 3-4 good lenses with me. Sometimes I have to make do with just one lens which is why I purchased these two.

The 28-105 has proven very useful, it's a nice fast lens, the images are sharp and the 4.5 max aperture at 105 is perfect in my books. And hey, it's got a 1:2 "Macro" capability. It'll go from portrait/zoom shots to taking a picture of a beer glass in a pub from 6 inches away. The 28-200 I havent had a chance to try out yet but by purchasing a later "ED" version I'm hoping the image quality will be better than those without the ED elements.

So there ARE options outside current offerings...
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    This has been the least satisfying aspect of buying a Nikon FX camera. Consider a used 35-70 f/2.8. It's older but nice quality. When you look at Nikon's lens catalogue, you can clearly see all the DX lenses they threw their money into during the dark years when they thought they'd never have to produce an FX camera.
  • ban25ban25 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    The 70-200VR is a good lens, but when I want something lighter, I grab my 70-210 F/4. This is an old lens, but it is built well and performs that way. I typically shoot with higher shutter speeds than you can get away with using VR, but it's not a problem for daylight.

If you look around, you should be able to find this lens used for much less than what the plastic 70-300 VR goes for.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    This has been the least satisfying aspect of buying a Nikon FX camera. Consider a used 35-70 f/2.8. It's older but nice quality. When you look at Nikon's lens catalogue, you can clearly see all the DX lenses they threw their money into during the dark years when they thought they'd never have to produce an FX camera.

Or it could be the most satisfying as older lenses become new again in FF.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    Or it could be the most satisfying as older lenses become new again in FF.

I suppose it depends. I bought the Nikon for AF speed and accuracy and going to old lenses doesn't appeal to me as much as if I were doing fine art photography of lots of tripod work with it. I want AF-S for a reason.