Do medium formats have an AA filter?

rnoursernourse Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited March 10, 2009 in Cameras
I was reading a review of the new dx3 in a british photo magazine the other day and the article said something to the effect that the d3x could never be as sharp as a medium format system because it had an anti-alias filter where the medium format sensors didn't.

Is that true?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 9, 2009
    rnourse wrote:
    I was reading a review of the new dx3 in a british photo magazine the other day and the article said something to the effect that the d3x could never be as sharp as a medium format system because it had an anti-alias filter where the medium format sensors didn't.

Is that true?

I don't think it is universally true but there probably are some medium format cameras that do not use AA (low-pass) filters in their default configuration. Then again, those cameras may use anti-moire software which has its own difficulties.

Eventually, some brave souls will remove the AA filter from the Nikon D3x and show us what the imager is really capable of but they will have to deal with the moire and aliasing issues.

Right now MaxMax can convert the following models, but I don't recommend it:

Canon 5D, 450D
    Nikon D40, D40X, D60, D80, D200, D300, D2X, D3
    Fuji S5Pro
    Olympus E500, E510, E520, E420

http://www.maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rnoursernourse Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Cool link! Think I'll keep my filter for now thanks...

I found the article... it was the march 2009 issue of Practical Photography and they said this about the "Phase One P21+ back". Please dont ask me to clarify what the 'back' was because they dont say...
    edited March 9, 2009
    rnourse wrote:
    Cool link! Think I'll keep my filter for now thanks...

I found the article... it was the march 2009 issue of Practical Photography and they said this about the "Phase One P21+ back". Please dont ask me to clarify what the 'back' was because they dont say...

Some medium format cameras can accept both film and digital backs. A camera "back" is simply a removable/interchangeable rear portion of the camera that holds either film or an imager and support electronics.
    ziggy53
  • rnoursernourse Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Some medium format cameras can accept both film and digital backs. A camera "back" is simply a removable/interchangeable rear portion of the camera that holds either film or an imager and support electronics.

That part I know... but since the AA filter would naturally live in front of the sensor it would therefore live in the back. Because the magazine didnt say what kind of back they were using I'm missing the one key piece of information I'd need to verify the story.
    edited March 10, 2009
    rnourse wrote:
    That part I know... but since the AA filter would naturally live in front of the sensor it would therefore live in the back. Because the magazine didnt say what kind of back they were using I'm missing the one key piece of information I'd need to verify the story.

The "Phase One P21+" is the name of the back. It is really called the "Phase One P21 Plus" but is often abbreviated.

You will often find that back mounted onto a Mamiya medium format camera body or a Phase One 645 body.
    ziggy53