Another B&W Conversion - Neat Face

gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
edited May 29, 2005 in People
I am taking a break today, a good time to look through some folders to consider the possibilities.

23314908-M.jpg

I ended up with this.

23314975-M.jpg

I played with it a bit, I hope it's not too weird.

regards,

Gary

Comments

• pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    I like it in b&w. It makes a statement. I once read a saying that said something like good photography brings up feelings in viewers that they didn't know they had. It kind of does that, if that makes any sense...thumb.gif

-Amy
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:
    I like it in b&w. It makes a statement. I once read a saying that said something like good photography brings up feelings in viewers that they didn't know they had. It kind of does that, if that makes any sense...thumb.gif

-Amy
    Amy,

I think I know what you mean. The color shot was a nice shot at a party. But, the b&w seems to evoke different deeper feelings.

Thanks,

Gary
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    I like it in general, but there's some masking weirdness around the hair.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Daniel ChuiDaniel Chui Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    Amy,

I think I know what you mean. The color shot was a nice shot at a party. But, the b&w seems to evoke different deeper feelings.

Thanks,

Gary
    This is a great shot, but I have a couple of suggestions (which I came up after playing with the shot a bit).

A) The framing should have been done prior to taking the photo. Always frame as if you couldn't crop, otherwise you'll never get into good habits.

B) The B&W blowout is a bit extreme, but that's just my opinion. I kind of like a more neutral palette of lights, while keeping things contrasty.

Overall great stuff - I'd like to ask why you didn't include the second guy in the shot you posted. He is a key part of the composition and just as (if not more, IMO) interesting than the guy you showed. Let's give credit where credit is due - I'm sure they've both lived incredible lives!

I have a variation on your B&W conversion, but I'd only post it with your permission?

Again, great shot. I'd get in closer next time but other than that, you did a great job.

- Chui
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    This is a great shot, but I have a couple of suggestions (which I came up after playing with the shot a bit).

A) The framing should have been done prior to taking the photo. Always frame as if you couldn't crop, otherwise you'll never get into good habits.

B) The B&W blowout is a bit extreme, but that's just my opinion. I kind of like a more neutral palette of lights, while keeping things contrasty.

Overall great stuff - I'd like to ask why you didn't include the second guy in the shot you posted. He is a key part of the composition and just as (if not more, IMO) interesting than the guy you showed. Let's give credit where credit is due - I'm sure they've both lived incredible lives!

I have a variation on your B&W conversion, but I'd only post it with your permission?

Again, great shot. I'd get in closer next time but other than that, you did a great job.

- Chui
    Daniel,

Good to hear from you, I always enjoy your work. We crossed paths a few times on STF if I remember correctly. I would love to see your version. The thing about the shot was that it was taken at Carlos farewell party (he's the other fellow in the shot). I was just sort of doing some random shots at the party.

Topanga has some great characters and some came out pretty well. Tomorrow is the Topanga parade and the fellow in the shot is the GrandMarshal of the parade. I decided to print some up to give away.

regards,

Gary