Options

Testing Canon 24mm F1.4 indoors

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited May 31, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hi there, my new lens arrived this week, and I held off till last night to take it out of the box and actually put it on my camera :dunno yep I dunno how I did it but it sat in the box for 2 Whole Days :huh hmmmmm maybe I'm sick and I dunno it yet :uhoh :rofl

Well I have to tell you I LOVE IT, I did not take a tripod with me, I wanted to see how I would go if I hand held every shot, and I was not disappointed.

Decided to go to the Ford Discovery Centre in Geelong, dim lighting good place to test out low light........the Canon 24mm F1.4 performed beautifully.

Disneyland here I come :clap :clap :clap :clap enjoy....... Skippy (Australia)

IMG_3332Eweb.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Well thats the biggest spider I've ever seen Skip, it also only has 4 legs eek7.gif , I like the large eyes though mwink.gif

Ha, how you going and the new camera of yours. Well it looks like its going just fine from here. Nice use of the lighting.

All the best over the ditch Maxine thumb.gif

Danny.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Great sharpness and colours thumb.gif.....the shopping list grows
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Nice stuff there skip. Now get me some dim light movement on it so i can see how it goes.

I shot maybe 200 last night at a hangin' with my 50mm f/1.8. Terrible light.
    Is there anything harder to shoot than drunks when you need a tiny second of stillness for a non flash shot ? You quickly become the target of their next bit of amusment lol3.gif

Gus
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Hey Gus....I LIKE PRIMES :) (x1 Pic)
    Humungus wrote:
    Nice stuff there skip. Now get me some dim light movement on it so i can see how it goes.

I shot maybe 200 last night at a hangin' with my 50mm f/1.8. Terrible light.
    Is there anything harder to shoot than drunks when you need a tiny second of stillness for a non flash shot ? You quickly become the target of their next bit of amusment lol3.gif Gus
    I love the way you can get away WITHOUT using a FLASH or a TRIPOD.
    Hey.........I never thought I would ever own a DSLR Gus, and now I do, but I am taking a liking to PRIMES I tell you :)

Here's one with a Canon 50mm 1.4 ........ yup I love the way this gear can handle really low light, I am soooooooo impressed........hey people I'm no Pro, this is my first Digital SLR but I gotta tell ya, it's an absolute BLAST clap.gifclap.gif

IMG_3432EdWeb.jpg

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Hey Danny
    nzmacro wrote:
    Well thats the biggest spider I've ever seen Skip, it also only has 4 legs eek7.gif , I like the large eyes though mwink.gif

Ha, how you going and the new camera of yours. Well it looks like its going just fine from here. Nice use of the lighting.

All the best over the ditch Maxine thumb.gif Danny.
    I love my Canon gear I do, I do, I do, :D:D .....I was on the floor in the Ford Centre took, and I didn't see any spiders at all, not even inside the cars rolleyes1.gif
    I am hoping the Spring will have some nice Spider/Bug/Butterfly critters for me to photograph :D thanks for the comment Danny :D Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Thanks Gubbs
    gubbs wrote:
    Great sharpness and colours thumb.gif.....the shopping list grows
    I got a bunch of images, still to process.......hope to post some more later.
    Ahhhhhhhhh yes that shopping list.......I got one more I want on my list, the rest I won't ever be able to afford mwink.gif Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    skippy, i like primes to0.. you chose wisely here!
  • Options
    Adrian van AmmersAdrian van Ammers Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Thinking about going dslr
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there, my new lens arrived this week, and I held off till last night to take it out of the box and actually put it on my camera ne_nau.gif yep I dunno how I did it but it sat in the box for 2 Whole Days eek7.gif hmmmmm maybe I'm sick and I dunno it yet :uhoh rolleyes1.gif

Well I have to tell you I LOVE IT, I did not take a tripod with me, I wanted to see how I would go if I hand held every shot, and I was not disappointed.

Decided to go to the Ford Discovery Centre in Geelong, dim lighting good place to test out low light........the Canon 24mm F1.4 performed beautifully.

Disneyland here I come clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif enjoy....... Skippy (Australia)
    Hi there Maxine,
    This looks very interesting. Please tell me some more about how far you went with these pics: shutter speed, F-stop, ISO? What more lenses you have now?
    I'm looking at lenses and will soon buy the 20d when I will can make up my mind which lenses to buy. You know my work(windmills, landscapes, grandchildren and other :D sports) Which lenses would be a best buy for me?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Ahhhhhh Yes Oh Wise One
    andy wrote:
    skippy, i like primes to0.. you chose wisely here!
    Hmmmmmmmm and I wonder who guided me along those lines hu?? ne_nau.gif
    I'm sure it will be worth the box of Cherry Ripes I'm bringing with me to USA in August *wink*wink* rolleyes1.gif we'll see how long you can play the waiting game for without needing a hit :lol4 :lol :lol4 Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmm and I wonder who guided me along those lines hu?? ne_nau.gif
    I'm sure it will be worth the box of Cherry Ripes I'm bringing with me to USA in August *wink*wink* rolleyes1.gif we'll see how long you can play the waiting game for without needing a hit :lol4 :lol :lol4 Skippy (Australia)

:eat
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Here you go Adrian
    Hi there Maxine,
    This looks very interesting. Please tell me some more about how far you went with these pics: shutter speed, F-stop, ISO? What more lenses you have now?
    I'm looking at lenses and will soon buy the 20d when I will can make up my mind which lenses to buy. You know my work(windmills, landscapes, grandchildren and other :D sports) Which lenses would be a best buy for me?
    Hi Adrian, hand holding with the faster Primes is easier than I thought it would be, I am sure you would get even sharper if you used a Tripod....but the whole idea of me getting this particular one (24mm) is for shots at Disneyland and for scenery shots in Montana :D I really like all the lenses I have so far, but there is one more on my list of "I WANTS" and thats a Canon 400mm 5.6...... dream on Skippy rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifclap.gifclap.gif

The Car shot was taken with the Canon 24mm F1.4 here's the EXIF File for that shots.......

Exposure time: 1/80
    Shutter speed: 1/80.00
    F-stop: 4.0
    ISO speed: 1600
    Focal length: 24.0000
    Flash: Not fired
    Exposure mode: Auto
    White balance: Auto

The Shirts were taken with the Canon 50mm 1.4 and here's the EXIF file for that shot ......
    Original date/time: 2005:05:29 13:15:27
    Exposure time: 1/160
    Shutter speed: 1/160.00
    F-stop: 2.2
    ISO speed: 400
    Focal length: 50.0000
    Flash: Not fired
    Exposure mode: Auto
    White balance: Auto

So my collection thus far is Canon 24mm 1.4L ... Canon 50mm 1.4...... Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro ...... Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM, and now I'm broke :D and it's all Andy Williams fault rolleyes1.gif Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Impressive range! Q!
    So my collection thus far is Canon 24mm 1.4L ... Canon 50mm 1.4...... Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro ...... Canon 70-200mm 2.4L IS USM, and now I'm broke :D and it's all Andy Williams fault rolleyes1.gif Skippy (Australia)[/QUOTE]
    Are you sure about the Canon 70-200mm 2.4L IS USM? I only see a 2.8 here.
    Yep, you did spend a fortune. :D
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Typo on my part :)
    So my collection thus far is Canon 24mm 1.4L ... Canon 50mm 1.4...... Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro ...... Canon 70-200mm 2.4L IS USM, and now I'm broke :D and it's all Andy Williams fault rolleyes1.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Yep, you did spend a fortune. :D[/QUOTE]
    Hi Again Adrian
    My Canon 70-200mm is a 2.8L IS USM :D I got carried away with all those .4's rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif sorry about that :D Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Great shots there Skippy, look forward to seeing the scenery shots from the lens as well.

Cheers
    Dave
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Thanks. Another question..
    Skippy wrote:
    Yep, you did spend a fortune. :D
    Hi Again Adrian
    My Canon 70-200mm is a 2.8L IS USM :D I got carried away with all those .4's rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif sorry about that :D Skippy (Australia)[/QUOTE]
    Why did you not choose the Canon EF 16-35/2.8 L USM? It is the same price. Do you prefer the 1.4 over the 2.8?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Hmmmmmmmmm Choices.....
    Hi Again Adrian
    My Canon 70-200mm is a 2.8L IS USM :D I got carried away with all those .4's rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif sorry about that :D Skippy (Australia)
    Why did you not choose the Canon EF 16-35/2.8 L USM? It is the same price. Do you prefer the 1.4 over the 2.8?[/QUOTE]

Hi there Adrian........although I haven't had my camera all that long, not even 6 months actually, I am discovering the primes are much faster than the zooms.
    I went for the 1.4's because I intend to shoot in some pretty bad light and want to know I don't have to use a tripod or monopod to do it.

My first 4 weeks in America will see me use that 24mm most of the time, who knows, somewhere down the track I may find I want more lenses hehehe..........Adrian, be careful there is a sickness that comes with owning a DSLR it gets everyone it's called "Want More Lenses Syndrome" if you haven't caught it yet you will my friend rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Lovely lens, I wish I had one. :uhoh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Thanks David
    TassieD wrote:
    Great shots there Skippy, look forward to seeing the scenery shots from the lens as well.

Cheers
    Dave
    I need to go down to the Lighthouse and see just what I can fit in this time around.......last time I had to go right down to the end of the pier just to fit the Lighthouse in........this timm I am sure I wont even have to go down the pier at all, but I will cause you can see around the corner a bit from the Pier.

Need to get down to Williamstown too, hopefully that will be this weekend coming up, will be taking tripod to do some hand held, and some with tripod using the 24mm.......thanks for looking David........ Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Well......... I know.......
    wxwax wrote:
    Lovely lens, I wish I had one. :uhoh
    Try this Wxwax..........

Dear Santa, I have been a good boy rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I dunno how you'll go, but heck it's worth a shot don't ya think :lol4

Yesterday was my first try out with the lens indoors, I need to try it outdoors now...... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited May 30, 2005
    So what exactly is a prime?
    Skippy wrote:
    Why did you not choose the Canon EF 16-35/2.8 L USM? It is the same price. Do you prefer the 1.4 over the 2.8?
    Hi there Adrian........although I haven't had my camera all that long, not even 6 months actually, I am discovering the primes are much faster than the zooms.
    I went for the 1.4's because I intend to shoot in some pretty bad light and want to know I don't have to use a tripod or monopod to do it.

My first 4 weeks in America will see me use that 24mm most of the time, who knows, somewhere down the track I may find I want more lenses hehehe..........Adrian, be careful there is a sickness that comes with owning a DSLR it gets everyone it's called "Want More Lenses Syndrome" if you haven't caught it yet you will my friend rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Skippy (Australia)[/QUOTE]Well of course I have some clue but please explain what a prime is. I'm all new in lens lust country. rolleyes1.gifclap.gif How much faster is a prime? I thought the 20d is fast anyway? Wrong?
    Another question: what's the L for? What the IS for?
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2005
    What is L for??
    Well of course I have some clue but please explain what a prime is. I'm all new in lens lust country. rolleyes1.gifclap.gif How much faster is a prime? I thought the 20d is fast anyway? Wrong?
    Another question: what's the L for? What the IS for?

Ohhhhhhhh greeeeeezzzzzzzzz Adrian, I'm a newbie at all this meself :D
    A PRIME LENS cannot Zoom, and that "L" is for LUST for sure rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif the "L" Glass will put holes in your wallet my friend......trust me on that one :D .......check out the price differences of the Canon lenses that have an "L" on them ..... I have two "L" Lenses, but the Canon 100mm Macro is right up there with that "L" Quality Glass even though it is not an "L"

The Camera focuses really fast with the PRIME Lens (remember they cant Zoom) Adrian having moved from the Sony F828, to the Canon 20D, I can tell you the speed of the Canon gear is just amazing, I love it :D

Maybe someone else who's smarter than me can explain these things better than I can ........... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited May 30, 2005
    More about the "L"
    ...at this Canon site. Lots to be learned here. First time, I think I spent a couple hours poking around.

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/technology/lseries.html
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    David, thanks so much!
    David_S85 wrote:
    ...at this Canon site. Lots to be learned here. First time, I think I spent a couple hours poking around.

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/technology/lseries.html
    A very informative site! You are a great help.