What is your daily driver?

baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited March 14, 2009 in Cameras
If you are into racing you usually own two cars. (Well, at least two.) A racer and a daily driver. The racer is your baby and your daily driver is the one you take to the supermarket.

I find that I have the same pairing with cameras. I have a fancy DSLR as my racer and I have a daily driver. Usually the awful camera in my BlackBerry or iPhone. I'm thinking of upgrading my daily driver and I was wondering what other people carry around with them when they don't feel up to dragging around their DSLR.

geoff

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    What an odd analogy.

As I only have two cameras, 30D and 5D2, it is either DSLR or DSLR. I would like to get a Canon G9...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 10, 2009
    ... I was wondering what other people carry around with them when they don't feel up to dragging around their DSLR.

I am a bit more photo-obsessive than most and I have 2 cameras I take when I don't want to be encumbered with a dSLR:

Minolta DiMAGE A2 digicam
    FujiFilm FinePix F30 p&s

The Minolta is light in weight but has a wonderful 28-200mm (equivalent) zoom lens with in-camera, chip based stabilization. The combination is very capable and, coupled with a flash for indoor work, I feel very empowered using it.

This was my first "serious" personal digital camera and I bought it mostly with a gift certificate I got from my employer after 30 years of employment.

It is still one of my favorite cameras, even though it has some quirks and serious deficiencies compared to a dSLR. For a couple of years this camera went with me everywhere. Some of my better images were captured with this camera.

317070633_gtJkk-O.jpg

324103834_pL2wc-O.jpg

488767028_gLaWc-O.jpg

488767003_qNSye-O.jpg

The Fuji F30 was more of a whim purchase but, when I want to travel really light and inconspicuous, it has a great level of satisfaction with minimal effort. A true p&s it has no really advanced modes or features and lacks RAW file capability, but the JPG images have so much more dynamic range than any other p&s I have tried that the image correction ability in post is very gratifying. While I have yet to capture anything breathtaking with it I have gotten images that would have been difficult otherwise.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I agree, there are occasions where a DSLR can be a bit cumbersome.....

I recently bought a G10 to have as a lightweight alternative. So far, I'm very happy with it. I'm a bit disappointed that there's virtually no info displayed in the viewfinder; you have to use the LCD to confirm settings. On the other hand, I do miss not having LiveView on my current DSLRs viewfinders (and yes.....I'm looking real hard at the 50D mwink.gif ). But it has a full range of manual to automatic settings. Plus I can use my Canon flashes TTL in the hotshoe (rare nowadays on a point & shoot). For years before the G10 I used a 3MP Olympus p&s, that worked well but had limited settings and resolution. However, I did get an affordable waterproof housing for it, so plan to keep it for the few and far between occassions where water is a factor (white water rafting, snorkeling, etc).
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I guess that I am one of the odd balls, as my daily driver is the same as my racer.
    I originally kept my old D50 for a backup / run around camera, but never picked it up. I picked up a Coolpix, but again, never picked it up. The D3 can certainly be a pain in the butt to lug around all day long, and it is even tougher having both wrapped around the neck, but I can't seem to get comfortable with anything else these days.
    Steve

Website
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I guess that I am one of the odd balls, as my daily driver is the same as my racer.
    I originally kept my old D50 for a backup / run around camera, but never picked it up. I picked up a Coolpix, but again, never picked it up. The D3 can certainly be a pain in the butt to lug around all day long, and it is even tougher having both wrapped around the neck, but I can't seem to get comfortable with anything else these days.

Good to know I am not alone! Even though I only have DSLRs... rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I have a Canon A590IS that I bought to use for quick things around the house and for short trips or small occasions. I cannot STAND using the thing! Don't get me wrong, this is a nice little point and shoot to be sure, but the shutter lag, focusing speed, flash re-charge time and other things just kill the experience for me overall.

I would have to say that my 'daily driver' is in fact my DSLR......I am finding that I am willing to pack that thing almost anywhere now just to have that feature set / performance with me at all times
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Sony T 100
    It is on my hip even to go to the grocery store.mwink.gif
    I won't count my cell phone camera.
    Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    My "racer" is my D3. When I want to go light I put the 18-200 VR on the D300.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I like to race all the time...even to the grocery store!wings.gif
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I still have the two camera that got me started down this slippery slope.

We picked up a Canon S1 IS. We added an underwater housing to that camera which is why we still have it.
    I was so happy with that camera we picked up the Canon S3 IS.

Like others though I find the jump back to a P&S to be painful do rarely use wither if these. The S1 obviously gets used in extreme weather, swimming pools, etc. The S3 mainly gets used by my 3 year old who loves to take pictures of mommy and the baby.
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Canon 5DII is my Batman, and a Canon G9 is its Robin. Though my 5DII is rarely too cumbersome. Even on long walks, hikes, or the like. A sturdy, balanced camera backpack and a comfy, elastic SmugMug neoprene neck strap help make it even nicer to tour with. The G9 has been almost entirely relegated to underwater and otherwise inclement photography (in a housing of course).
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I keep an old Olympus Stylus 6mp point and shoot handy on dirt bike trips when I don't want to destroy my DSLR.

I'm hunting for an M40 2.8 pancake lens for my Pentax ME, should be not much bigger than the Olympus and offer all the advantages of film. :D
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Racer - Nikon D300 (but I drive my racer quite a bit)
    Daily - Canon SD890 - bought to take on frequent business trips, delivers decent daily photos like this one:
    380626122_HJVto-S.jpg

Other - I just got an iPhone last week. My old samsung blackjack had a camera but I never used it. Now, I'm sort of liking the "Camera Bag" app that I stuck on my iPhone - the modern equivalent to a Holga film camera?
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I use a Canon 5D when I really want to shoot stuff.

I tried various cameras for carrying it around all day for casual stuff, a small Canon dslr like a rebel XTi and even a small point and shoot. I couldn't take the point and shoots so I settled on an Olympus E 420 with a kit lens that I bought from Circuit city as they were going out of business for under $400. I wish it was a touch smaller but I prefer a viewfinder and the responsiveness of a dslr over a point and shoot. Plus with a point and shoot, the dof is too big and I didn't like that, not to mention the lower IQ with point and shoots.

Some shots with my new point and shoot'ish Oly dslr.
    476848338_EuVLs-M.jpg

477594910_2G9bM-M.jpg
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Racer: 5DMKII
    Go cart: 30D
    Daily Driver: Still my trusty Sony F828 ... but a Sony T500 is always in my pocket — just in case!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • rclifforrcliffor Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2009
    I have a G9 that I can put in my pocket, or carry in my motorcycle tank bag. My brother recently gave me an XTI so I am just learning to use a digital SLR.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Racers: 5DMkII, 5D
    putt putt: Rebel XTi and an iPhone
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    dunno if I would call it a racer as such
    but soon to have a d70 and my daily driver will
    be my G10...although both will be in the bag:D
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • ElliotElliot Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    How many of you have bloomin' 5D Mark IIs! There's about one person with one of these babies in Ireland. This board can make us non-US feel a bit gear-deprived.

For the record:
    Racer: Canon 450D (Rebel XSi to you. See what I mean!)
    Daily: Canon A630 (excellent P&S as it goes) and iPhone.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    My daily driver is the Canon SD700, inconspicuous and quick to the draw.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    The Canon PowerShot D10. I'm thinking of trying one of these as a special purpose camera once they are available in May. I'm not sure it will replace the 40D as my daily driver but I'm thinking it should be good around the sailboats where thing get splashed and banged around. Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 3x Optical/4x Digital/12x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer System. Focal Length 6.2-18.6mm f/2.8-4.9 (35mm film equivalent: 35-105mm). ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600 equivalent. Waterproof to 33 feet, clap.gif cold resistant from 14-104°F and shockproof up to 4 feet. 11doh.gif

That's when I don't want to endanger the 40D. I will miss the viewfinder though.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=2590&modelid=18332#ModelTechSpecsAct
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Elliot wrote:
    How many of you have bloomin' 5D Mark IIs! There's about one person with one of these babies in Ireland. This board can make us non-US feel a bit gear-deprived.

Actually, Elliot, they sell this little card thingy here:

wings.gifwings.gif
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Part of the reason I ask is our family goes through point and shoots like crazy. (And mobile phones.) The main culprit is my daughter. Our first Canon P&S lasted about 3 hours. I have a Nikon P60 the has a shadow across the top of the frame because my daughter dropped it. If you hold the lens down while you take a picture you can kind of get rid of the shadow. (Something is bent in the lens extend mechanism.) The last Canon P&S we had lasted a few days before it wouldn't open. A small plastic gear lost a few teeth in the lens extend mechanism. I know because I took the camera fully apart. (I was going to fix it but my curiosity got the best of me. I knew the camera was never going to function again so...)

We currently have a working Nikon P50. Mainly because my daughter isn't allowed to use it. I'm not really happy with it. Takes great snapshots, doesn't really focus on anything beyond about 20-30 feet.

I'm mostly interested in people's daily driver's in the interest of finding something durable that also takes a decent picture.
    geoff
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    I'm not sure why you keep giving your daughter cameras to break. Can't be cheap. I've got a D300 with 35mm lense that is my "daily driver." I had an 18-200mm on it, but eventually I got tired of the weight and size. Found that on my last trip I took twice as many photos with the 35mm than the 18-200, so go figure. I'll often carry around a D78 with 10-20 on it as well. I carry one or both in a low pro shoulder bag.

That being said, I've got an Olympus 1030SW which might be a good camera for your daughter, but I'm sure she could break it too. (How old is she anyway?) Image quality isn't all that good, and the lack of manual override controls is really annoying. I carry this one around most of the time too, for when the DSLRs are too obtrusive, or when I want other people to take my picture!

I think I'd like the G10, but the price is a little high right now.
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Interesting post!

For cars, my daily driver is a 1998 Chevy Blazer

276693441_PAAom-Th.jpg276694852_LWtu5-Th.jpg276694528_i4e3G-Th.jpg

The 'not driven as much' car is a modified 2002 Corvette Z06

400104946_zax4b-M.jpg

For cameras, my best camera is a Nikon D200, but I treat it like a daily driver. I also have a Nikon P5100 P&S, and just picked up a GoPro motorsports camera that makes for a great convenient pocket video/still camera, but usually find myself carrying the D200 everywhere.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    I'm not sure why you keep giving your daughter cameras to break. Can't be cheap.

She's 15 and I don't give them to her to break, it just works out that way. eek7.gif She is just hard on her stuff. (At 4, when asked why she had just thrown a toy down a flight of cement steps, she replied, "I wanted to see how it worked inside. Plus, It's OK, daddy can fix it.")

So yes, cost is a factor.
    geoff
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    If not carrying a DSLR then it is my Konica Minolta A2, like Ziggy53.....it was my 1st serious digital cam......the only deficiencies is low light performance.....it gets noisy after iso 200......but I most shoot it at iso64 and sometimes slip it to 100.........the highest selling pieces of my work have been shot on this camera.................

I am looking into Olympus's UPPER 3 digicams as a backup to the KM A2......nothing comes close to the A2 with a true floating focus point and the meter point will float also if one wants it to (floats with focus point).......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Our first Canon P&S lasted about 3 hours. I have a Nikon P60 the has a shadow across the top of the frame because my daughter dropped it. If you hold the lens down while you take a picture you can kind of get rid of the shadow. (Something is bent in the lens extend mechanism.) .

Maybe something like this might help a bit

http://www.delkin.com/products/snugit/index.html?gclid=CMeYrbzdnZkCFQHHGgodGAlIDg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• ElliotElliot Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Actually, Elliot, they sell this little card thingy here:

wings.gifwings.gif

That is EXCELLENT! Laughing.gif!
  • kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    The run around: Is my Canon G9 (was my do it all for a more than a year).
    The luxury limo: My D700. thumb.gif (I have only had it a couple of weeks... I like!!)

The D700 is scary good!

489239076_KBYmQ-L.jpg

The G9 does OK too:

384220021_5SXqA-L.jpg

So, for now, I am a happy chappy! :D :ivar