Mare Island: Second Visit

tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
edited March 14, 2009 in Landscapes
On my second visit to Mare Island with other Nocturnes alums, we began with a tour of the south end of the island, which is off limit except for one Saturday of each month (www.mareislandpreserve.org).

1. A sculpture at this location

487937426_LFycw-L.jpg

2. Dog tags with the names of ships that were either built or repaired at Mare Island

487937661_PnGgR-L.jpg

Of course, the main reason we went to Mare Island was night photography at the historic core of the naval shipyard.

3. Smoke stack

487939346_EPMBw-L.jpg

4. Metal structure and building

487939451_mM7HJ-L.jpg

5. Cranes

487939620_ZuEKk-L.jpg

6. Painting bomb shelter with red light

487939892_8jBtj-L.jpg

7. This place was so dark, I could barely see. No light painting because it would wipe out subtle colors on buildings.

488575114_je3Kf-L.jpg

8. The view through a dirty window into building 680 was even darker. It was too dark to focus through the viewfinder, so I focused to infinity and backed up a bit. I learned this trick from Steve (Cygnus Studios) earlier and found it was a lot quicker than trying to shine a flashlight on a spot and focus on it, which may trash someone else's shot.

487940763_ENXsT-L.jpg

9. Reflection

487940918_HqMdR-L.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    That shot through the window is great. By far the hardest of the shots taken while we were walking around that night. I like the star trails in the photos. Number 2 is my fav in this series. It is well shot and cropped perfectly thumb.gif.

It was a real pleasure hanging out with you guys.
    Steve

Website
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    What, no ultra-wide lens this time? Still much better results than the month before. The window-view-inside-bldg-680 shot is awesome.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Like them all but 8 is the best for me.
    What a great place to go shoot. Awesome.clap.gif
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    You always bring back such great sets! I love this one as much as the first. Thanks for sharing and hope to catch you out there so you can share your techniques :D
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Nice shots tisun. I was there at the alumni event as well.

M.Is. is a pretty awesome place.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Cool shots, I love shooting at night.
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    That shot through the window is great. By far the hardest of the shots taken while we were walking around that night. I like the star trails in the photos. Number 2 is my fav in this series. It is well shot and cropped perfectly thumb.gif.

It was a real pleasure hanging out with you guys.

Steve, thanks. It was a blast hanging out with you. Your D3 was perfect for previewing how the shots would turn out. I wouldn't have attempted the shot through the window if I didn't see how it turned out in your amazing LCD screen.
    edited March 11, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    What, no ultra-wide lens this time? Still much better results than the month before. The window-view-inside-bldg-680 shot is awesome.thumb.gif

Cuong
    I wished I had an ultra-wide lens. April (aktse) offered to drive from her workplace to home to fetch the 10-22mm and bring it to me at a train station. Sadly, I had to take an earlier train home and missed that opportunity. I used a 17-85 f/4-5.6 for shot #4 and #7 when wide angle was needed. The problem with that lens was that I couldn't see a thing through the viewfinder because the scenes and that lens were both too dark, making focusing through the viewfinder impossible. I had to rely on Steve's advice on focusing to infinity and backing off a bit. The rest of the shots were taken with the 24-70mm f/2.8. I could manually focus with it, but it was not wide enough in some cases.
    edited March 11, 2009
    justME wrote:
    Like them all but 8 is the best for me.
    What a great place to go shoot. Awesome.clap.gif
    Justine, thank you. You have some great shots in your galleries.
    edited March 11, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    You always bring back such great sets! I love this one as much as the first. Thanks for sharing and hope to catch you out there so you can share your techniques :D
    Thanks, schmoo. Once you are settled down, we should explore the bay area.
    edited March 11, 2009
    a110p0 wrote:
    Nice shots tisun. I was there at the alumni event as well.

M.Is. is a pretty awesome place.

Alvin

Ack! I wished I had looked for you in the crowd. Thank you for sending back my wireless remote that I had left on the island during the first visit.

I like how you used blue-geled flashes in your shots in your gallery. You are a master of light painting. I was inspired by many of your shots.
    edited March 11, 2009
    Loud Al wrote:
    Cool shots, I love shooting at night.
    Loud Al, thanks. I spent a summer a number of years ago near your neck of the woods, in Hillsboro. I love the Portland area.
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    Ack! I wished I had looked for you in the crowd. Thank you for sending back my wireless remote that I had left on the island during the first visit.

I like how you used blue-geled flashes in your shots in your gallery. You are a master of light painting. I was inspired by many of your shots.

No problem mailing back the remote, glad to help a fellow dgrinner.

Thanks for your compliment. I didn't come back with as many keepers as
    I hoped, that just means I'll have to return.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery