Athens/Santorini Trip

tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
edited March 11, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are the Pictures from my Trip to Greece... some of my favorites.

Hope you like them.

Parthenon3344669554_c401c5a111_b.jpg

Santorini Sunset

3343839009_22bbb08134_b.jpg

Rest of my photos are on my Flickr. linked below.
5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Thanks for sharing! My wife, kids and I will be doing a European cruise this summer; Athens and Santorini are among the ports. My dad's family is from Santorini. Would love to see more of your island shots! clap.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    Thanks for sharing! My wife, kids and I will be doing a European cruise this summer; Athens and Santorini are among the ports. My dad's family is from Santorini. Would love to see more of your island shots! clap.gif

Like I said there are a lot of the photos on the Flickr web page and they have all of the location information if they are the ones from Santorini.

I suggest just enjoying your time at Santorini in Fira which is not too far from the Port. the other cities (oia and Akrotiri... aren't that worth it IMHO).

Just walk up and around all the areas in Fira very nice... If you are looking for a good place to eat there is a little shop tthat sells gyros (pita with ____ (you name the meat)) for only 2.5 Euro which is very inexpensive that is down the hill from the rest of the eating area... you'll know what i mean when you get there. (they prolly feed you on the boat but if you have to eat that is a "cheaper" way to do it.)

You might have to just get a postcard or two to get the truly "beautiful" shots of santorini as I do not think that many of them are real locations. haha... Sunset was great though.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    edited March 10, 2009
    tjstrider wrote:
    Like I said there are a lot of the photos on the Flickr web page and they have all of the location information if they are the ones from Santorini.

I suggest just enjoying your time at Santorini in Fira which is not too far from the Port. the other cities (oia and Akrotiri... aren't that worth it IMHO).

Just walk up and around all the areas in Fira very nice... If you are looking for a good place to eat there is a little shop tthat sells gyros (pita with ____ (you name the meat)) for only 2.5 Euro which is very inexpensive that is down the hill from the rest of the eating area... you'll know what i mean when you get there. (they prolly feed you on the boat but if you have to eat that is a "cheaper" way to do it.)

You might have to just get a postcard or two to get the truly "beautiful" shots of santorini as I do not think that many of them are real locations. haha... Sunset was great though.

Thanks! I did look at your Flicker site, but I could only find Athens pics. I'll check again.

Thanks for the Santorini suggestions, but I will need to take my family over to Oia, since that where my father's family was from. Planning to do a half-day tour by cab; will spend the remainder in Fira.

I understand the Acropolis is undergoing major rehab work. Is it worth visiting, or does the work/scaffolding make it disappointing? Also in Athens, what is that white tunnel looking open structure?
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    Thanks! I did look at your Flicker site, but I could only find Athens pics. I'll check again.

Thanks for the Santorini suggestions, but I will need to take my family over to Oia, since that where my father's family was from. Planning to do a half-day tour by cab; will spend the remainder in Fira.

I understand the Acropolis is undergoing major rehab work. Is it worth visiting, or does the work/scaffolding make it disappointing? Also in Athens, what is that white tunnel looking open structure?

The scaffolding and such is still bad but honestly it is still amazing to go up there. It would be a shame for you to take your kids and wife there and not at least head up there. If you happen to be in Athens on a Sunday it is free on those day 8:30 am - 2:30pm don't be too late b/c there is a lot to look around up there. Then you are in the Monastiraki and Plaka and can buy the touristy type of things right then. Otherwise on other days it is 6 - 8 Euros each (except those under age 19 w/proof of course)

The Tunnel and such are from the 2004 Olympic Area which we took the green line to get to... it was free to wander around but there was of course not much to look at it was fun to see it though since unless the Olympics are in Chicago I will never see.

You can take the bus for a lot cheaper from Fira to Oia... depending on how American they think you look...
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    tjstrider wrote:
    Sunday it is free on those day 8:30 am - 2:30pm don't be too late b/c there is a lot to look around up there...Otherwise on other days it is 6 - 8 Euros each

I was lucky enough to be there on a free Sunday. The other reason to go early in the morning, is that after we had an unhurried, uncrowded look around up there, when descending we ran into the horde of other tourists who had finally gotten out of bed and were headed up. Glad we missed that...
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    These are both really nice. The second one is just awesome though!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Excellent. Santorini was my favorite place ever. If you get a chance, post some clap.gif
    edited March 11, 2009
    Thanks for the Acropolis/Sunday tips!!! thumb.gif
    Our itinerary has us in Athens on Sunday at 7AM. This will be one morning that I'll be forcing my family out of bed early. rolleyes1.gif

And thanks for posting additional Santorini pics! I was there in 1977, during my Junior year in HS. I imagine things will be a bit different now. :D
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com