Options

Gradient Tool

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited March 12, 2009 in Finishing School
I would very much appreciate if someone could give me the sequence for displaying a gradient colour so it goes behind an image. For example I tried to bring down a blue sky colour and it came in front of the the houses creating like a mist if you know what I mean.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I think by using a Quickmask (press Q) you can designate a selection area, and then apply the gradient within the selection only.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    I think by using a Quickmask (press Q) you can designate a selection area, and then apply the gradient within the selection only.

I am on CS4 what do you call a Quick Mask. I have tried pressing (Q) and each time it brings up a dialogue saying 'Save changes to the Adobe Photoshop document before quitting' If I press Q I exit Photoshop.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I am on CS4 what do you call a Quick Mask. I have tried pressing (Q) and each time it brings up a dialogue saying 'Save changes to the Adobe Photoshop document before quitting' If I press Q I exit Photoshop.
    Regards
    Bob

Mask an area and then press Q. You will see a color (red by default) overlay. You can now paint with black or white to add or subtract from the selection. When done press Q again to see your selection masked (crawling ants).

For a continuous blue sky you can mask it easily using the magic wand tool. It's stored with the quick selection tool in the tool pallete.

Read up on masking, Bob. There are lots of tutorials online...just google for them.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Mask an area and then press Q. You will see a color (red by default) overlay. You can now paint with black or white to add or subtract from the selection. When done press Q again to see your selection masked (crawling ants).

For a continuous blue sky you can mask it easily using the magic wand tool. It's stored with the quick selection tool in the tool pallete.

Read up on masking, Bob. There are lots of tutorials online...just google for them.

Thats great Ric thanks for that I will do exactly as you say you have been a great help once again.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Regards
    Bob

Are you on a Mac? On my PC Cntr+Q is equivelant to Quit. Pressing Q alone starts "Quick Mask".
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    63018073_ZbUpt-M-3.jpg
    On this pic, if I remeber correctly........what I did was to remove the background and then made a gradient layer and merged / flattened and this was the finished product......originall behind the horse was a bunch of construction going on.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 12, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    63018073_ZbUpt-M-3.jpg
    On this pic, if I remeber correctly........what I did was to remove the background and then made a gradient layer and merged / flattened and this was the finished product......originall behind the horse was a bunch of construction going on.

You have made an excellent job of that Art. Well done. No I am not on a Mac Tony I am on Widows XP.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    You have made an excellent job of that Art. Well done. No I am not on a Mac Tony I am on Widows XP.
    Regards
    Bob

Thanx......that has been my only attempt so far.....I have other car bumber sculptchers that i want to do to get rid of nasty parking lots and light poles..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website