New camera...

KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited March 10, 2009 in Cameras
I believe I got nice camera and a really good deal, too. I sold my other camera today (Nikon D50 body and Sigma 18-50mm lens) and got a Canon EOS 30D (body only). I got $300 out of my camera and paid a $150 more for the Canon. To me it was like all I paid was just the $150.

Now I don't know what the Canon body cost when it first arrived in stores back in spring 2006. Canon says the body alone cost $1300 back then, others say it didn't cost more than $700. So I don't know what to believe the price was nearly three years ago, but I got it in mint condition for $450, ($300 for my camera and the additional $150).

Here's the story on the camera: A lady who has MS bought the camera new a couple weeks ago at WolfCamera. She gets it home, but her hands wouldn't allow her to hold it well enough to use it. She said it was too heavy for her hands after a short time. Holding it for a minute was one thing, trying to hold it for awhile was another.

She had everything, receipt and all, but she couldn't find the box, so they would not give her money back, even though they have a two week policy, and she had it for just one week. So she gives it to another camera shop to sell it for her on consignment and the tag said $450, and since there wasn't a scratch on it anywhere and it worked great and everything was there but the box, and she never even got one picture taken from it, I thought I'd grab it. All I need now is a lens and a CF card.

What do you guys/gals know about the 30Ds? Did it cost $1300 for the body only as Canon says, or did it cost about the same as my Nikon did when I bought it new back four years ago?

Thanks! :-)
ʞ1└0

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 10, 2009
    Many places originally sold the Canon 30D for $1399, and you can verify that by looking at a snapshot of DPReview as it appeared in April 10, 2006 (at the bottom):

http://web.archive.org/web/20060410075259/http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos30d/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Many places originally sold the Canon 30D for $1399, and you can verify that by looking at a snapshot of DPReview as it appeared in April 10, 2006 (at the bottom):

http://web.archive.org/web/20060410075259/http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos30d/

Thanks, Ziggy! I've been to DPReview today and all I could find is they're saying the street price is six-hundred something dollars. I guess that's what stores are selling the 30D body now days for; maybe `cos 30Ds are discontinued and the 50Ds are what's in now. But the 50Ds are selling for $1600 for a body with a Canon 28-135mm lens. Wow, how prices dropped from a 30D body-only for $1300 and now the 50D for $1600 for both body and a fairly big lens.
    ʞ1└0
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 10, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    ... Wow, how prices dropped from a 30D body-only for $1300 and now the 50D for $1600 for both body and a fairly big lens.

Imagine being a camera retailer and trying to figure out how many cameras to keep in stock, knowing that a camera will actually depreciate just sitting there on the shelf a few months. It's an almost impossible situation because there is not that much markup on the cameras themselves.

Retail camera stores are not in an enviable market I'm afraid.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Of course you could be like the camera store I just bought my 50D from. They don't cary any in stock at the store. They had to get it shipped from a warehouse.

Of course Black's is not what I generally call a serious camera shop anymore.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I bought my 30D used in late 2006 for $1000, which was a really good deal at the time.

It's amazing someone had a brand new 30D in stock. Perhaps they found it behind some boxes in their back room. User 30Ds are going for between $300-$400 so $450 for a new one isn't bad.

The 30D is getting up there in age, but it's still a decent camera. It has been superseded twice, first by the 40D in Aug 2007 then the 50D in Aug 2008.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Guess that may be one reason why WolfCamera wouldn't refund her money just `cos she didn't have the box it came in. They just didn't want it back since they've had it for three years.

She may have paid, I'm guessing, $729 for the body. Good thing she didn't pay $1300 for it, she would have lost even more money. Can't believe they did that to her since she has MS, and had the receipt and brought it back without a scratch by the sixth or seventh day.

Anyway she got most of her money back when I bought it and I have a nice camera. I feel bad they did that to her though, all over a silly box.rolleyes1.gif
    ʞ1└0