Daytona Supercross

kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
edited March 12, 2009 in Sports
This is my first attempt at shooting bikers. Here are a few that I got. Please let me know what you think and what I might be able to do to take better shots or if I should stick to wildlife photography. They were all taken with a Nikon D3 and 70-200mm VR. Pics 2 thru 6 also had a 1.7TC.

#1489071881_64TBC-M.jpg

489072314_7F6Jg-M.jpg

489072495_6cWRg-M.jpg

489072984_BnsXU-M.jpg

#5489072919_ShWgf-M.jpg

#6489072728_zR8Mu-M.jpg
www.Prideinphotography.com
Powered by Smugmug
Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
Equipment
Nikon D4, D300

Comments

• ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Man, I would say they are ok. But, from the stands at Daytona, you're so far away from the action that it is hard to really get anything worthy especially at night. Go to the SX in Jacksonville and walk around the first two rows of stands during the day and shoot practice and the difference in your pics should be night and day.

I'm actually leaving tomorrow for New Orleans to shoot the SX on Saturday FROM THE FLOOR!!!! I'm so pumped! I hope it is as good of a race as Daytona was. I envy you for being there. Thanks for posting brother, any pics of motorcycle racing are good to see.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Man, I would say they are ok. But, from the stands at Daytona, you're so far away from the action that it is hard to really get anything worthy especially at night. Go to the SX in Jacksonville and walk around the first two rows of stands during the day and shoot practice and the difference in your pics should be night and day.

I'm actually leaving tomorrow for New Orleans to shoot the SX on Saturday FROM THE FLOOR!!!! I'm so pumped! I hope it is as good of a race as Daytona was. I envy you for being there. Thanks for posting brother, any pics of motorcycle racing are good to see.

Thanks for your input. I am not familar with the termonology used in motorcycle racing. What is SX? Are you talking about Jacksonville, FL. If you are then where are the SX races. If they are in the stadium then I can't take my lens' in. Their rules are no more than 6 inches in length.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
    edited March 10, 2009
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    Thanks for your input. I am not familar with the termonology used in motorcycle racing. What is SX? Are you talking about Jacksonville, FL. If you are then where are the SX races. If they are in the stadium then I can't take my lens' in. Their rules are no more than 6 inches in length.

SX = Supercross. There is another one coming to Jacksonville, FL. I'm sure it will be at the football stadium. If I were you and going to that SX, I would still try and get in with my big lens. All it takes is getting by one person at the gate and if one person tells you no, just say ok, walk away and go try to get in another gate. Just a suggestion, but if you aren't into the racing, it's probably not worth the drive.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
    edited March 10, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    SX = Supercross. There is another one coming to Jacksonville, FL. I'm sure it will be at the football stadium. If I were you and going to that SX, I would still try and get in with my big lens. All it takes is getting by one person at the gate and if one person tells you no, just say ok, walk away and go try to get in another gate. Just a suggestion, but if you aren't into the racing, it's probably not worth the drive.

I live about 8 miles from the statium. I called them about 2 weeks ago to see if I could get my lens into a monster truck rally that they were having. My son offered me a free ticket. They told me that I couldn't take it in. They use the same crews that are used for NFL games and they actually measure the lens when you go in.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
    edited March 10, 2009
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    I live about 8 miles from the statium. I called them about 2 weeks ago to see if I could get my lens into a monster truck rally that they were having. My son offered me a free ticket. They told me that I couldn't take it in. They use the same crews that are used for NFL games and they actually measure the lens when you go in.

Well that sucks. However, in a football stadium the track goes right up along the stands, so you can shoot with a 28-70 or something like that. You should go check it out for sure.
    Come see my Photos at:

• ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    That is J-Law schooling the rest of the field in his 1st SX on the big bikes. Almost a great shot! Good color and focus on it though. I am going to the Salt Lake SX and will be armed with my 80-200 2.8 So I will see how bad it is from the stands.

489072728_zR8Mu-M.jpg
    edited March 11, 2009
    Zerodog wrote:
    That is J-Law schooling the rest of the field in his 1st SX on the big bikes. Almost a great shot! Good color and focus on it though. I am going to the Salt Lake SX and will be armed with my 80-200 2.8 So I will see how bad it is from the stands.

489072728_zR8Mu-M.jpg

Thanks, I wish that I had gotten all of the front tire into the picture. I was having trouble keeping up with the speeds at the short distance.