Is this short lighting better?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited March 14, 2009 in People
This is baby Madison and her mommy. The Mom is very shy and usually refuses pictures but last year she lost a baby boy full term, born still....:cry This is her little savior and she thought since she didn't get pictures with her first born she should take the opportunity to take some with her daughter. I tried to short light her because of her round face but not sure I accomplished that... the 2nd picture definately not but I don't think it looks too bad. What do you think? I processed using an elegance action since mom has a VERY red face and baby has a very pale face. This evens out the tones a bit. Thanks for looking!

489185227_QPgLP-XL.jpg

[IMG][/img]489186019_76Sb9-XL.jpg

489183737_DtLrV-XL.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Very nice. I really like the lighting in these.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    This middle shot is actually broad lighting, but it doesn't matter as it looks great. I think mom will be very happy with these. The first one in particular is great.

The way I remember if I am short or broad lighting is to look for the ear that is showing (or would be if the hair was out of the way). If that ear is on the shadow side you are short lighting, if on the light side you are broad lighting. It's a little overly simplistic but it helps me keep it straight.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Matt S wrote:
    This middle shot is actually broad lighting, but it doesn't matter as it looks great. I think mom will be very happy with these. The first one in particular is great.

The way I remember if I am short or broad lighting is to look for the ear that is showing (or would be if the hair was out of the way). If that ear is on the shadow side you are short lighting, if on the light side you are broad lighting. It's a little overly simplistic but it helps me keep it straight.

Thanks Matt, I actually have been studying the broad vs short. The middle picture actually was just a fluke because the baby was acting up and she turned from the angled position she was in to almost square on trying to hold the pose. I would have rather had her turned so that her right ear was towards the camera but when working with babies..... not always so scientific! But... what really makes the picture is the baby's face and short/broad doesn't matter so much! Thanks for the kind words....
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Your dead on when you say that in the end short or broad doesn't matter it's the shot that counts. Again these were very nice. Believe me I know about working with the little ones!!:D
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    I really, really like the procesing on these - love the muted colors.

Methinks #1 is the best of the group - love the tenderness.

#2 - cute, but not in the same league with the first one.

#3 - Nice, but .... would love to see more of Mom's face and baby is so much less animated than in the first.

Next to Final thought - I think these would have been a bit better if you had been able to light mom's hair from behind to better seperate her from the background. Also, a little more seperation between mom and the background would have better allowed the background to go totally black. There's some distracting visible details there.

Final thought :D - I have no doubt mom will absolutely love these!
    edited March 11, 2009
    I really, really like the procesing on these - love the muted colors.

Methinks #1 is the best of the group - love the tenderness.

#2 - cute, but not in the same league with the first one.

#3 - Nice, but .... would love to see more of Mom's face and baby is so much less animated than in the first.

Next to Final thought - I think these would have been a bit better if you had been able to light mom's hair from behind to better seperate her from the background. Also, a little more seperation between mom and the background would have better allowed the background to go totally black. There's some distracting visible details there.

Final thought :D - I have no doubt mom will absolutely love these!

Thanks Scott! I actually did light the hair from the background but also lit the background a bit. I am space limited so I couldn't really get her much farther than where she was. ( I want a basement like you!) Perhaps I should have increased the output on the hair light and not lit the background? Urgh...I gotta get it right eventually! Unfortunately reluctant mom and cranky baby don't make for too much time to make changes. This baby was actually a little old for this kind of shoot. Too awake, opinionated and didn't scrunch up easily for posing. She is 8 weeks.... I usually try to do this at 2 weeks. I'm gonna have to rope me in a model at some point!

Thanks again for the critique. She does love #1 and for this kind of picture you only need one great one!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Sandy, these are beautiful. I love them all, and I think the processing is PERFECT.

I agree with Scott about the bg on the last one, but (having played around with it in the window here - gotta love scrolling!) I think if you crop a little more off the top it actually improves not only the bg but throws the emphasis down the photo a little bit and takes the eye right to where mom and baby connect.

Beautiful series. thumb.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Thanks Scott! I actually did light the hair from the background but also lit the background a bit. I am space limited so I couldn't really get her much farther than where she was. ( I want a basement like you!) Perhaps I should have increased the output on the hair light and not lit the background? Urgh...I gotta get it right eventually! Unfortunately reluctant mom and cranky baby don't make for too much time to make changes. This baby was actually a little old for this kind of shoot. Too awake, opinionated and didn't scrunch up easily for posing. She is 8 weeks.... I usually try to do this at 2 weeks. I'm gonna have to rope me in a model at some point!

Thanks again for the critique. She does love #1 and for this kind of picture you only need one great one!
    That's what I would do, I think.
  • ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    That first shot is absolutely phenomenal! I might be having my first newborn shoot in a couple of months and I've been quite inspired by your work. Thanks for sharing so much of it with us.
    edited March 11, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Sandy, these are beautiful. I love them all, and I think the processing is PERFECT.

I agree with Scott about the bg on the last one, but (having played around with it in the window here - gotta love scrolling!) I think if you crop a little more off the top it actually improves not only the bg but throws the emphasis down the photo a little bit and takes the eye right to where mom and baby connect.

Beautiful series. thumb.gif

Thanks for the thumbs up Diva. I will try the crop you suggest! The mom absolutely adores the first one!
    edited March 11, 2009
    That first shot is absolutely phenomenal! I might be having my first newborn shoot in a couple of months and I've been quite inspired by your work. Thanks for sharing so much of it with us.

Thank you so much for your kind comment. I am fortunate I have several "lifers" that I will be able to watch grow as I do alot of newborns. They are really fun to do! The only suggestion I have when you do yours is if you are going to do mom and baby together you do it when the baby is like 2 weeks old. Much more poseable and less squiggly wings.gif Good Luck!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Number one sure grabs my attention...good work. Thanks for sharing...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited March 12, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Number one sure grabs my attention...good work. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks for looking and taking time to comment Ed. I think I am going to print #1 and bring it to my photography group tonight for a technical review. I REALLY LOVE this picture but the main thing is that the mom and her family love it!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    #1 is a lovely photography Sandy. Again, the broad light/short light is a technique....a principle to explore with varying facial features BUT it is not the end all. As mentioned previously, the end result is the final authority. I broad light at times as it "works". Well done.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited March 14, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    #1 is a lovely photography Sandy. Again, the broad light/short light is a technique....a principle to explore with varying facial features BUT it is not the end all. As mentioned previously, the end result is the final authority. I broad light at times as it "works". Well done.thumb.gif

Thanks Dave.....gotta stop whining now :D I actually found a local photog that gives seminars on lighting! Only 10mins away! Going next weeked. It will be much easier to see it in person. But most days I think I am getting better. What a difference a year and hanging on here makes......
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 14, 2009
    edited March 14, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thank you Angelo!