A few from Snoqualmie

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited March 14, 2009 in Landscapes
You're probably getting sick of this location but I'm not, so bear with me :D

I took these on Sunday afternoon. I had the "pleasure" (:lol3) of shooting with anwmn1 who was making is photographic debut in the Pacific Northwest. He was greeted with mediocre light, cold weather, and some snow and hail. Next time maybe Aaron will arrive in August when the weather is perfect, the mountains are easily accessible, and the wildflowers are out in full bloom.

We went to Snoqualmie Falls mid-afternoon, followed by Lake Borst/Mt. Si (and a resident eagle who was trying to catch dinner) and then back to the falls again at sunset.

The falls are hard to expose when the sky is so bright and the sun low in the sky casting the foreground in shadow. Most of my falls shots are merges of the same raw file (one underexposed for the sky and one overexposed for the foreground), along with a gradient mask. I tried HDR but didn't like the results. Hopefully Aaron did better than I did.

#1:

488537290_sfVqe-XL.jpg

#2:

488527780_qcrAQ-L.jpg

#3:

488525118_CshET-L.jpg

#4:

488523383_nK4Fm-L.jpg

#5:

488531322_HKsXR-L.jpg

#6:

488529118_8KLUS-L.jpg

And the obligatory gratuitous video:

<object width="640" height="362">

<embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDg4NTE4OTE1Jms9dERaQkImYT0zNTIwMzM0X0NYOFk2JnU9Y29zY29ycm9zYQ==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="362"></object>

Comments

• slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Very nice Ron. Snoqualamie is one of my favorite spots when I am up that way. I like # 1, 3, and 4 the best. Have you ever shot it from the other side or in the middle of the river in the summer? That is what I want to try the next time I come that way.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Hey Ron it was nice to meet you and shoot with you for a little while. I guess it is unanimous by everyone that I spoke with during the trip that I am here at the wrong time of year. ne_nau.gif

Guess i will have to make a return trip in the summer one year. deal.gif

I won't get around to photos until Sunday at the earliest but most likely not for a week as I will have plenty of work and school to catch up on.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Hmm, August is THE time, you say?

*makes note in calendar*

Even if the weather was sub-cooperative it's a beautiful place and it's nice to see this terrain under all guises. Sounds like it was still a lot of fun, too :D
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    These are nice to look at, Ron. I especially like #3.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    slflash wrote:
    Very nice Ron. Snoqualamie is one of my favorite spots when I am up that way. I like # 1, 3, and 4 the best. Have you ever shot it from the other side or in the middle of the river in the summer? That is what I want to try the next time I come that way.

Thanks! I have shot from the base of the falls, but for whatever reason I like the shots from up top better. I have never shot from the other side, it doesn't look very accessible, but it would definitely be worth exploring.
    edited March 14, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Hey Ron it was nice to meet you and shoot with you for a little while. I guess it is unanimous by everyone that I spoke with during the trip that I am here at the wrong time of year. ne_nau.gif

Guess i will have to make a return trip in the summer one year. deal.gif

I won't get around to photos until Sunday at the earliest but most likely not for a week as I will have plenty of work and school to catch up on.

Definitely, summer is incredible in the northwest (just don't tell anyone). Looking forward to seeing the photos from your trip!
    edited March 14, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hmm, August is THE time, you say?

*makes note in calendar*

Even if the weather was sub-cooperative it's a beautiful place and it's nice to see this terrain under all guises. Sounds like it was still a lot of fun, too :D

Mid July through mid September, but August is definitely the peak for wildflowers. October is also very good for fall colors (early October for the higher elevations, later October for the lower elevations), though the weather may not cooperate as much.
    edited March 14, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    These are nice to look at, Ron. I especially like #3.

Thanks Jeff, I've been shooting a lot more B&W lately as it can turn crappy light into mediocre light lol3.gif