would you fix this?

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited March 12, 2009 in People
there may be other problems with this image, but the one that stands out to me is the young gal's skin is way lighter than everyone else's (I have actually darkend this just a bit in lightroom. Question: would you fix her skin to make it resemble the others?

489410064_cfUm3-L.jpg

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    there may be other problems with this image, but the one that stands out to me is the young gal's skin is way lighter than everyone else's (I have actually darkend this just a bit in lightroom. Question: would you fix her skin to make it resemble the others?

Definitely wouldn't, she's a little bit paler than the rest of the group, but there's nothing wrong with that.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    The "paleness" (is that a word? :D) stands out dramatically as the other faces are not natural in color. This should be color balanced and you could add a bit of vibrance and saturation to her. This is a family photo. This is something one can only assume that they want in a frame. The idea of "well, that what was there" flys in the face of what purpose the photograph serves. The yellow cast has taken away the vitality and vibrancy of the subjects, making the pale one stand out.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    As Swartzy alluded to, portrait photography is not about capturing what is there, but about creating an image showing the client/model in the best light possible (no pun intended).

So, if that means correcting skin tones, burning here, dodging there, removing skin blemishes (to a point), etc - then that's what's got to be done.

The fact that the lady on the right has skin so much more pale than the others really spearates her from the rest. This is usually not something a family portrait should be doing. Rather, you would think a family portrait would emphasize family unity. So, yes correct all the skin tones, and bring the young lady's more in line with the rest.

Oh, and I hope this is a crop. As a 4x6 (or similar ratio print) this works. But, you need a lot more space in this if your clients might want an 8x10 or any ratio other than 4x6. Something to think about.deal.gif
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Is this better? I used the guy in the back's shirt to set the color balance and tinkered with the young gal's skin a bit.

489382691_xmnsv-L.jpg
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Yes, the color is a bit better...a bit more magenta than yellow this time. Zoom in on your original Josh...look a the whites of the eyes and teeth.....created a saturation layer, lower the sat (middle slider) down to -80%. Go to "Edit"/Fill/black. Hit "B", "D", "X" (x toggles foreground/background color white & black. Use a small brush and paint some teeth with the "white" (foreground color).....this will help you see what casting is taking place. Try it on the whites of the eyes as well.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Looks so much better on this un-calibrated POS work monitor.

It'll be interesting to see what others, on a calibrated monitor have to say about the skin tones of the two on the left. Shoot, Swartzy beat me to it (slow typing - what can I say?)
    I used the guy in the back's shirt to set the color balance
    Josh, do you have a gray card? If not - get one as they take a lot of the guess work out of the processing. At worst, the provide a "standard" starting point in your color-correction process.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Is this better? I used the guy in the back's shirt to set the color balance and tinkered with the young gal's skin a bit.

489382691_xmnsv-L.jpg

Yep, much better....
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    If you are using photoshop try white balancing with the first dropper tool in RAW and click on the dad's hair where it appears gray at the very top. I gave it a whirl and it did a very nice job of setting a custom white balance. Nice shot btwclap.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!