Indiana Forest

scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited March 17, 2009 in Landscapes
Went for a walk in the woods yesterday and took some pics. I sharpened them before converting from RAW to jpeg, so let me know if I over-did it. Thanks..

John

489076330_bUVvY-XL.jpg

489075616_UrDGh-XL.jpg

489096613_mPYhD-XL.jpg

489105344_2UYrP-XL.jpg

489116828_74Yrw-XL.jpg

489121078_BcPZq-XL.jpg

489132060_Grd9n-XL.jpg

489141100_AD8Ad-XL.jpg
Canon EOS 50D, Tamron 18-270mm and 10-24mm

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Really like that last one!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Really like that last one!

+1
  • scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Thanks. That might be my favorite also. Did I overdo it with the sharpening on the others?

John
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Best image! I assume thats your family, perfect!

489121078_BcPZq-L.jpg
    edited March 12, 2009
    Thanks. That's most of the family, sans a daughter..

John
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Nice series! But I wonder if there's not a yellow/orange color cast to all but the last image. Have you tried playing with the white balance?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    They are very nice, especially the last and the one of your family (assuming it is family). That one would look great framed for a family photo!
    edited March 12, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Nice series! But I wonder if there's not a yellow/orange color cast to all but the last image. Have you tried playing with the white balance?

I shot them all with the same white balance (cloudy). The light was very flat and the woods are yellow/orange now until we get some green in the next week or so. The sky shot is with the same white balance, but doesn't suffer/benefit from all that reflected yellow/orange nearly so much because it's brighter and the light source (no reflected light), hence the perceived difference..

I didn't change or play with the white balance on any of them because that's what it really looks like out in the woods down by the creek. I would be very interested to see how you would like them balanced, so please feel free to grab them and re-process a bit then post here. I'm totally new to the still photography thing, and processing in particular, so help me out!

Was the sharpening overkill? I know some of those files are huge by jpeg standards, and while it looks good (to me) on my monitor I don't want to just be making the images noisier by sharpening them..

Thanks,
    John
    edited March 12, 2009
    I shot them all with the same white balance (cloudy). The light was very flat and the woods are yellow/orange now until we get some green in the next week or so. The sky shot is with the same white balance, but doesn't suffer/benefit from all that reflected yellow/orange nearly so much because it's brighter and the light source (no reflected light), hence the perceived difference..

I didn't change or play with the white balance on any of them because that's what it really looks like out in the woods down by the creek. I would be very interested to see how you would like them balanced, so please feel free to grab them and re-process a bit then post here. I'm totally new to the still photography thing, and processing in particular, so help me out!

Was the sharpening overkill? I know some of those files are huge by jpeg standards, and while it looks good (to me) on my monitor I don't want to just be making the images noisier by sharpening them..

Thanks,
    John

Color casts are often subtle. It may look like everything is just as you saw it, but then when you correct it you realize that it was off.

Here's an example of what correcting for color cast can do for the image.

490058123_rEWsH-L.jpg

Hope that helps.
    Jeff Meyers
    edited March 12, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Color casts are often subtle. It may look like everything is just as you saw it, but then when you correct it you realize that it was off.

Here's an example of what correcting for color cast can do for the image.

490058123_rEWsH-L.jpg

Hope that helps.

What change(s) did you make to get there?

Thanks,
    John
    edited March 12, 2009
    What change(s) did you make to get there?

Thanks,
    John

I just tweaked the white balance until the yellow cast went away. But you can also do it by setting your white and black points. What program are you using for post processing?
    Jeff Meyers
    edited March 12, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    I just tweaked the white balance until the yellow cast went away. But you can also do it by setting your white and black points. What program are you using for post processing?

I'm using Canon's DPP. My wife has CS4 on the machine, but I don't really know how to use it.

John
    edited March 12, 2009
    I'm using Canon's DPP. My wife has CS4 on the machine, but I don't really know how to use it.

John

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Canon's DPP. I use a Nikon and I did the tweaks I mentioned in Capture NX2. But you should be able to open your image and adjust the WB in that program.
    Jeff Meyers
    edited March 12, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Sorry, but I don't know anything about Canon's DPP. I use a Nikon and I did the tweaks I mentioned in Capture NX2. But you should be able to open your image and adjust the WB in that program.

Yes, it does that but I didn't. Next time I will experiment with it.

John
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Give Adobe lightroom a try. You can get a free 30 day trial on their site.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Very nice.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited March 17, 2009
    I "sprayed" the local swamp on my way in to work this morning. Sun was just coming over the trees. Shadows were very blue and direct light very golden. Here's the same shot with a couple of different white balance settings. I think either one works for different reasons, and I'm not so much concerned about accuracy as much as I am about the intangibles. Let me know if you agree or not, perhaps why and any/all tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    John

493297199_JGk3C-XL.jpg

493296454_8brQa-XL.jpg