Outdoor Soccer Practice

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited March 14, 2009 in Sports
Last night, I was able to shoot a little with my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens. After viewing other peoples photo's on this site, I come to the conclusion that my photo's lack color. I would like to make the color pop. I am using just a UV filter for now. Would a polarizer filter give me better color?
Here are a few shots, please give me your thoughts (Good or Bad).

Thanks, Ron

489882850_iU9DX-L.jpg

489882829_d3hkw-L.jpg
Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    b08rsa wrote:
    Last night, I was able to shoot a little with my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens. After viewing other peoples photo's on this site, I come to the conclusion that my photo's lack color. I would like to make the color pop. I am using just a UV filter for now. Would a polarizer filter give me better color?
    Here are a few shots, please give me your thoughts (Good or Bad).

Thanks, Ron

489882850_iU9DX-L.jpg

489882829_d3hkw-L.jpg

I think colour is a personal preferance, and personally I think the colours you have are fairly vibrant.

With regards to the shots themselves I would like to see some good action shots as well!!

Michael
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Maybe I need to try shooting in vivid mode and boost the color up?????

Ron
    eek7.gif
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    b08rsa wrote:
    Maybe I need to try shooting in vivid mode and boost the color up?????
    eek7.gif

You could do that, but I agree with the previous comment - the colors in these are very nice (viewed on my calibrated MacBookPro).

What camera are you using?

"Vivid" mode will have no effect if you shoot RAW, but you might like it if you shoot JPG. I generally shoot RAW, but have been happy with the results of outdoor sports shooting JPG in Nikon's equivalent of "Vivid" mode.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    You could do that, but I agree with the previous comment - the colors in these are very nice (viewed on my calibrated MacBookPro).

What camera are you using?

"Vivid" mode will have no effect if you shoot RAW, but you might like it if you shoot JPG. I generally shoot RAW, but have been happy with the results of outdoor sports shooting JPG in Nikon's equivalent of "Vivid" mode.

I shoot jpeg format. I am using a OLY E-510 with a sigma 70-200mm f2.8 hsm in manual mode. ISO was set at 100. Maybe it is just me about lacking color. I have have not used RAW, due to it taking up so much data on the flash card. I use only a 2 gig compact flash card, and a 1 gig XD inthe camera (cheap, cheap).
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    b08rsa wrote:
    I shoot jpeg format. I am using a OLY E-510 with a sigma 70-200mm f2.8 hsm in manual mode. ISO was set at 100. Maybe it is just me about lacking color. I have have not used RAW, due to it taking up so much data on the flash card. I use only a 2 gig compact flash card, and a 1 gig XD inthe camera (cheap, cheap).

Well I think the appropriate amount of color pop is a matter of personal taste. A lot of point & shoot cameras (and dslr "scene" modes) tend to increase color saturation, so maybe we come to expect a lot - but to my (amateur) eye what you have shown us is very nice.

I suppose they might not print quite so well as they look on screen, so maybe some experimentation is in order.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    From the cast of the shadows you were shooting a backlit scene which flattens the colors some. Try shooting from the other side of field to see if colors pop more. Also you can stay backlit and dial a bit of exposure compensation (+EV) to better expose the players. You may blow the background a bit just be careful not to blow the skin
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    I agree with Tim, try shooting with the sun behind you and see what you get.

Also, it looks like maybe the shutter speed was a little slow, keeping them from being as sharp as they could be? What speed were they shot at?