Options

Framing metallic prints

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited March 21, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I couldn't figure out what forum to put this in LOL.

I (finally) took all of my prints to the frame shop today. 4 metallic and 1 watercolor finish.

I had to decide between no glare or regular glass, and found this difficult. The framer described the no glare having a flattening effect on the image - so I am concerned that will defeat the brilliance of the metallic paper!

Anyone with experience, I can phone and change this.

The other question he had is if the metallic would be damaged by dry mounting. We decided against dry mounting, but I am curious.

ann

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Hi Ann,

For what it's worth I have decided to switch over to all non-glare glass. For me I think the gains out weigh any loss. In some locations reflections can cause a print to be almost un-viewable with regular glass, but if you are going to light it evenly then the regular glass should be OK.

Also if your there in the frame shop ask for an example of the regular glass, and the non-glare to see the difference.

As to the dry mount issue, I am appalled that the framer would rely on you the customer for an answer. I don't think there would be a problem, but if I faced the question I would call Kodak, and / or the printer for a definitive answer.

Sam
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Metalic materials
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Ann,
    As to the dry mount issue, I am appalled that the framer would rely on you the customer for an answer. I don't think there would be a problem, but if I faced the question I would call Kodak, and / or the printer for a definitive answer.

Sam
    Printable metalic surfaces range from metalized mylar to metal sheet to paper-backed. If you didn't order the prints and frames simultaneously from a single vendor they have no way to know and control what material you are having framed. Some materials come with preapplied adhesive. If you don't tell them, they can't know.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    I picked my framed prints up today, and I am impressed!

I found myself saying "I took those?" - absolutely blown away by how much a frame makes a photo!

Next step is to hang them.

So far, no regret about choosing the non glare glass.