SB-600 head positioning

13579dk13579dk Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited March 13, 2009 in Accessories
Hey everyone -

Just got an SB-600, and have noticed that the head tilts and rotates with the same degree of resistance whether or not the lock-release button is held down or not. In either case, it's not difficult to move (seems like about the right amount of resistance - definitely wouldn't move around on its own, but also fairly easy to move by hand). I'm not sure if the "lock" isn't working correctly, or if it's just very weak? Anyone else's like this, and does it cause damage to reposition without holding down the button?

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    13579dk wrote:
    Hey everyone -

Just got an SB-600, and have noticed that the head tilts and rotates with the same degree of resistance whether or not the lock-release button is held down or not.

That doesn't sound good. I don't know if it will eventually hurt anything or not, but if able you should get a replacement.
    Steve

Website
  • 13579dk13579dk Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2009
    On closer inspection (and of course, after playing with this thing all day, I figure this out 5 minutes after I post), it does lock, but only when the head is horizontal and pointing straight forward -- the lock-release is needed only to initiate rotation to either side, or to initiate tilting upwards... once it isn't horizontal and pointing straight forwards, the head moves freely without the lock release held in. I can't tell from the manual if this is correct operation?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,051 moderator
    edited March 13, 2009
    13579dk wrote:
    On closer inspection (and of course, after playing with this thing all day, I figure this out 5 minutes after I post), it does lock, but only when the head is horizontal and pointing straight forward -- the lock-release is needed only to initiate rotation to either side, or to initiate tilting upwards... once it isn't horizontal and pointing straight forwards, the head moves freely without the lock release held in. I can't tell from the manual if this is correct operation?

13579dk, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

That sounds like normal operation to me.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    13579dk, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

That sounds like normal operation to me.

I just got an SB-600 as well and it works just like yours. Good luck!
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • 13579dk13579dk Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 13, 2009
    Sounds good -- this looks a little different than what is shown in the manual, just wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks everyone!