Options

Anyone Using FDRTools for HDR's?

Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
edited March 15, 2009 in Finishing School
I'm wondering if any of you are using of have used FDRTools and what you thought of it. I'm taking an HDR online class currently and Photomatix is where most of the emphsis is but the instructor did show some results from FDR and as far as photo-realism, it was rendering beautiful images, surpassing the quality of Photomatix. We haven't looked at the artsy/Illustrative side of FDR yet.

I've asked him to elaborate on his use of both softwares and if he can consistently get superior images with FDR.

Here is the link to FDR. http://www.fdrtools.com/front_e.php

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    I'm wondering if any of you are using of have used FDRTools and what you thought of it. I'm taking an HDR online class currently and Photomatix is where most of the emphsis is but the instructor did show some results from FDR and as far as photo-realism, it was rendering beautiful images, surpassing the quality of Photomatix. We haven't looked at the artsy/Illustrative side of FDR yet.

I've asked him to elaborate on his use of both softwares and if he can consistently get superior images with FDR.

Here is the link to FDR. http://www.fdrtools.com/front_e.php

Hi Frag,

I'm moving this to Finishing School for ya! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    not using FDRtools but would interested in the online course if you wouldn't mind sharing the classes addy..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    not using FDRtools but would interested in the online course if you wouldn't mind sharing the classes addy..................

Art,
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
    The name of the course is “Unleashing the power of HDR Images” at Perfect Picture Photography. http://www.ppsop.com/courses.aspx#4
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Keep in mind this course focuses mostly on Photomatix not FDRtools. It’s currently two weeks into the four week course so you will want to wait until April, should you decide to sign up.
    If your still interested pm me at the end of the month and I’ll give you my assessment of the course, too early to say right now.
    Doug<o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 15, 2009
    There's a small review of it in the book Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range Digital Photography. Looks like a great program. They say it produces typically darker and more moody images, but those effects can be tweaked quite a bit. They also say it's more difficult to coerce surrealism out of the tool, which is interesting. I personally don't think Photomatix is particularly geared for surrealism. Dynamic Photo HDR seems to be the king of surrealism. (Too bad they were too incompetent to sell it to me.)

All of the HDR tools on the market seem to have their strengths and weaknesses. Fortunately, the're all inexpensive enough that owning more than one of is possible and makes sense. I think I'm going to have to give FDRTools a try.

PS: Please don't change the text color on your posts. It makes them incredibly difficult to read for folks that aren't using your exact viewing options. What I'm seeing is black text on a dark gray background. I can only read it if I select the text so that it's highlighted.