Muscadae Fly

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited March 14, 2009 in Holy Macro
Found this Muscadae fly today in the cold weather, and he was slow enough I had time to take a couple of shots. Only problem was I forget to put the ISO back to 100 where I shoot macros, so these shots were all taken at ISO 1000, and are a little noisy. The other thing I've been noticing is that resizing the photos to store on the web looses some of the detail and sharpness of the photo. Anyone have a resolution for this? Perhaps another sharpening after the re-sizing?

3351723671_9b42ba4b80_o.jpg

3351723403_6bd35a6068_o.jpg

3352549138_52e3f4e49f_o.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Good ones Gary :)
    I've done that trick with the ISO- I was suprised how little noise you get with high ISO and good lighting (ie flash).
    Re the resizing- think many people use a little re-sharpen on the reduced size pic- I certainly do. I use USM for sharpening and leave it at 200,1,1 settings but fade the full shot to around 50% and then do the same again on the resize but fade it to to 30%
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    garyt wrote:
    Found this Muscadae fly today in the cold weather, and he was slow enough I had time to take a couple of shots. Only problem was I forget to put the ISO back to 100 where I shoot macros, so these shots were all taken at ISO 1000, and are a little noisy. The other thing I've been noticing is that resizing the photos to store on the web looses some of the detail and sharpness of the photo. Anyone have a resolution for this? Perhaps another sharpening after the re-sizing?

Ahhhhhhh yes a sure sign of an addict, normal people would not be looking for flies on a cold day rolleyes1.gif

For using an ISO of 1000 these are pretty darn good, not as noisey as you would expect to see actually.

Well done Gary clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin