Mode Dial

KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited March 14, 2009 in Cameras
As some of you know, I just bought a brand new mint condition Canon 30D for $450 on the 10<SUP>th</SUP><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>. I'm wondering if the mode dial is suppose to be a little bit hard to turn on some of their models, such as the 30D. I mean it's not really hard to turn it, but it's not as easy to turn as their cheaper models such as their XSi or XTi. Even my Nikon D50 was easy to turn.

Being that it's a tad hard to turn, I was afraid of wearing it out from turning it all the time. If this isn't normal for the 30D, (or any model), I'll take it back to have them look at it this coming Tuesday. I'll also go to this other store tonight to see how their 50D mode dial turns.

Thanks! :-)
ʞ1└0

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    No way to tell what "a tad hard to turn" really mean, but I just tested my 20D and a 50D.

The 20D requires that you be sure you want to turn the dial. It's not something that's going to be accidentially turned by rubbing it against something.

The 50D is the same thing, only not quite so stubborn about it.

If you have any real concerns, I think your idea of going to a camera store or someplace like CostCo and test one of their display models is a good idea. If what you have is SIGNIFICANTLY different, then I might be a bit concerned.
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    No way to tell what "a tad hard to turn" really mean, but I just tested my 20D and a 50D.

The 20D requires that you be sure you want to turn the dial. It's not something that's going to be accidentially turned by rubbing it against something.

The 50D is the same thing, only not quite so stubborn about it.

If you have any real concerns, I think your idea of going to a camera store or someplace like CostCo and test one of their display models is a good idea. If what you have is SIGNIFICANTLY different, then I might be a bit concerned.

Thanks, Scott!

I'm not sure if it's anything serious. Maybe some camera mode dials will be a bit tight to turn, some a bit easier. I guess not all cameras are gonna be the same with whatever functioning part.

I even noticed my 30D's flash, when it pops up, it's noisier than the my former Nikon D50 was. No big deal, just something I noticed. Canon's flash hinges seem to be made differently than Nikon's.
    ʞ1└0
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    As some of you know, I just bought a brand new mint condition Canon 30D for $450 on the 10<SUP>th</SUP><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>. I'm wondering if the mode dial is suppose to be a little bit hard to turn on some of their models, such as the 30D. I mean it's not really hard to turn it, but it's not as easy to turn as their cheaper models such as their XSi or XTi. Even my Nikon D50 was easy to turn.

Being that it's a tad hard to turn, I was afraid of wearing it out from turning it all the time. If this isn't normal for the 30D, (or any model), I'll take it back to have them look at it this coming Tuesday. I'll also go to this other store tonight to see how their 50D mode dial turns.

Thanks! :-)

I just tested a 30D against my Rebel XT and my 40D. The 30D distinctly requires more force and does not have as smooth a transition between settings. It almost jumps between settings. When turning the dials, I prefer the 40D, BUT the 40D often resets itself to a different mode between shoots (probably brushing against camera bag), so the stiffness of the 30D is probably a positive.

Dave
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    I just tested a 30D against my Rebel XT and my 40D. The 30D distinctly requires more force and does not have as smooth a transition between settings. It almost jumps between settings. When turning the dials, I prefer the 40D, BUT the 40D often resets itself to a different mode between shoots (probably brushing against camera bag), so the stiffness of the 30D is probably a positive.

Dave

So if it's happening to your 30D, too, then I'm not gonna feel it's a major thing. It's a little aggravating, but I can live with it. lol

So how do your pictures come out using your 30D? I wouldn't know about mine `cos I just bought mine and I haven't bought a lens yet.

I might get this used 28-135mm that I heard about for $285. They say it's in mint condition. I have to go Tuesday to look at it.

They said the 30D I bought last Tuesday was in mint condition and it sure is. I love it.
    ʞ1└0
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    So if it's happening to your 30D, too, then I'm not gonna feel it's a major thing. It's a little aggravating, but I can live with it. lol

So how do your pictures come out using your 30D? I wouldn't know about mine `cos I just bought mine and I haven't bought a lens yet.

I might get this used 28-135mm that I heard about for $285. They say it's in mint condition. I have to go Tuesday to look at it.

They said the 30D I bought last Tuesday was in mint condition and it sure is. I love it.

This 30D was left with me by a friend who dropped or banged it and wanted me to check it with my lenses to see if the focus is still on or if it needs repair. He has been very happy with the camera and I can vouch that his pictures have been excellent with it, having looked through 8x10 albums of his travel photos.

I actually usually leave my dial in Av mode on my 40D as I often shoot indoor sports and like to select the wide open apertures to maximize shutter speed. Outdoors I use this mode to determine the depth of field for desired composition of my photos, so I utilize the mode dial rarely. I use it mostly to reset back to the Av mode when it gets moved inadvertently. So the stiffness may be advantageous. I would not mind if my 40D were like this.

Enjoy your camera. And have fun with the lens shopping!

Dave