Dual Monitors

geralds34geralds34 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited March 29, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I just added a Dell 2209WA to my 4yr old Desktop(Ati X600 card). This monitor looks great, but I still need to calibrate it with my Spyder 2.

Two monitors off single video card - can I only calibrate 1 of the monitors(I only care about the 2209WA now)?

How do you physical position your dual displays, I use LR2.3 for 99% of the time? I am using a curved corner desk, but now feel like getting out of the corner, and placing the two monitor relatively flat against the wall.

Any other suggestions? Moving all the monitors/cabling around is so time consuming, and a hate cable clutter(can't do an iMac-sorry)

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    What I am looking at doing is placing my tools monitor on a shelf above and behind my working monitor.....which I want mounted to the wall on a pul out swivel mount.......so that when I need to flip the working monitor to portrait position i can and I can also pull it closer so my bi-focals won't cause me problems..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    geralds34 wrote:
    Two monitors off single video card - can I only calibrate 1 of the monitors(I only care about the 2209WA now)?

In Windows it depends on the card. I don't know if that card can assign a separate profile to each monitor. On a Mac it's no problem, you can always profile separate monitors, even on iMacs and laptops.
  • filmphotofilmphoto Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    When I went dual screen I put my "second" monitor on the right - and that felt odd, so I switched it to the left and the felt right (er, correct)

Also, I set my wacom tablet so it only functions in the main screen, otherwise the horizontal motion was way too out of line with the vertical and you find yourself working in just the right hand half of the tablet.

That said - I suppose if you went for a larger widescreen tablet that might make sense again....

My secondary monitor is basically at the same distance from the edge of the desk, but slightly turned towards me.
  • geralds34geralds34 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    filmphoto wrote:
    When I went dual screen I put my "second" monitor on the right - and that felt odd, so I switched it to the left and the felt right (er, correct)

Also, I set my wacom tablet so it only functions in the main screen, otherwise the horizontal motion was way too out of line with the vertical and you find yourself working in just the right hand half of the tablet.

That said - I suppose if you went for a larger widescreen tablet that might make sense again....

My secondary monitor is basically at the same distance from the edge of the desk, but slightly turned towards me.

Currently - playing with the same type of arrangement. At times, I find the second monitor distracting. Need to time to sort this all out. I really like LR with the second monitor, put the library grid there really speeds things up.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    my two monitor set up is a little different. When i ran two monitors one of them is a convertible laptop which I use in tablet mode. I then use my desktop monitor as a single monitor with a mirror copy on the laptop which I use as a tablet.
  • crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Most folks I set up with dual monitors, including me, put the second monitor on the side of their dominant hand. It just seems to flow more naturally. You'll just have to play with it. I have seen a couple folks stack them. I'm running Vista Ultimate which does offer separate profiles. Now I just need to get a calibration tool.

Cheers
    Craig
    http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Not just the OS
    crmitche wrote:
    Most folks I set up with dual monitors, including me, put the second monitor on the side of their dominant hand. It just seems to flow more naturally. You'll just have to play with it. I have seen a couple folks stack them. I'm running Vista Ultimate which does offer separate profiles. Now I just need to get a calibration tool.

Cheers
    Craig
    It is not enough that the operating system supports two color profiles. The graphics card and it's drivers must support two color maps simultaneously if both monitors are to be corrected at the same time.

Dale B Dalrymple
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies