"New" Nikkor 60mm AF-S Question

pyanezpyanez Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited March 16, 2009 in Holy Macro
I'm thinking about a move from Canon to Nikon (D90/300). One of the few things holding me back is the love of my Canon 60mm EFS macro.

Any Nikkor 60 AF-S macro shooters out there? If so, can you tell me if you can shoot with that macro lens at 1:1 with the onboard flash without the lens casting a shadow? Thanks

BTW: I'm hoping to still do stuff the mine from the Canon macro shown here:

Macro Photos

Cheers!

PS - Please no comments a la "You should never, ever use the onboard flash for macro photography..."... yes, I've been told this, MANY times, and I'm sure I'll burn in hell for it. But, I get good results when I (OFTEN) do this, or at least I think so. I like the photos like the ones shown in the gallery above - If you don't, at least let me be happy in my delusion :crazy

Comments

• ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Hi. I'll toss my .002. You have some great stuff in your gallery. I own Nikon equipment, and I believe D300/D90 would either be a good choice. My question, what is Cannon not doing for you now?
    I own the 60af-s micro, also the sigma 150 f2.8, which gets 99% of my macro action. The 60 is a great lens, I just like the working distance of the 150, and I use it with speedlight in hot shoe often, diffused.
    Good luck with your decision, but as I said, you are doing real nice things with your present system.....:D
  • pyanezpyanez Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Well, if I all I shot was macro (not the case) the Canon system would be perfect for my needs. However, since that is not the case, here is where Canon is coming up short for me right now:

1. I currently shoot with an XSi which limits my high ISO, I shoot a lot of available light as well, to 1600. The D90/300 have a much better range and more importantly much better high ISO performance than the current cameras to which I could upgrade (aka the 50D).

2. I really like the Nikon "grid" viewfinder option.. I always had my film cameras set up that way. Again I would need to move to at least the 50D to do this in Canon - and for various reasons it's not a camera I'm interested in.

3. Having shot both Nikon and Canon, I have always been disappointed with the out of camera color balance from the Canon cameras. Nikon while not fantastic either is much better (oddly I think a couple of "lesser" makers do a much better job at this)

4. Very importantly Nikons prosumer lenses seem to offer MUCH better value than Canons in most cases (I would not include the 60mm macro in this column so far). So for instance, the Nikon kit lenses 18-105mm, 18-200mm, or in the case of 70-300mm VR are significantly better than the comparable Canon 17-85mm, 18-200mm, and 70-300mm IS which aren't true USM, have rotating front elements, etc. Canon's pro line is fantastic but OUCH!... I don't make my living in photography nor am I wealthy enough to have a bunch of white lenses in the trunk of my car.
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    I hear you. When I use the 60 micro, or any of my macro lenses, almost always use remote flash,(SC-28, me thinks). I also have the R1 setup, which oddly works well with all except the 60, which I believe needs an adapter to take weight off front of lens. (Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    I am VERY happy with the D300, its versatile and more camera than I will ever need. Great at high iso, fast focus, etc. If you make the change, noting your concerns I think you would be happy with either the D300 or D90. thumb.gif