Options

Sorting Pictures

hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited March 18, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi im a complete noob at Post production and sorting pictures. At the moment im not sure how I should be going though my pictures to find the keepers and the Junk. I shoot raw and Jpg and windows photo veiwer does not read raw, and when I tried Picasa it was too slow to go though all my picures.

Does anyone know of a good program to sort pictures with? (Preferably that deltes the raw and Jpg at the same time). Or is there a good method that someone would like to share with me.

And What is your Ratio of Keepers and Junk?

Thanks
Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
Flickr
Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Picasa (the program you download). Free, reads raw (at least for my camera), and enables you to easily keep track of photos.

There are plenty of programs for sale out there (not least of which Lightroom), but even though I have both Photoshop and LR, I find I use Picasa for important my images from my camera and keeping track of them.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    personally I would recommend Adobes Light Room 2 and the Acompanying book by Scott Kelby..........This way you get a fantastic Post Processor and Data basing programs.......Scott kelby takes you thru processing like cooking a recipe for the first time........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    ok thanks. For now, although it is slow going thrugh the picures I'll go though it with picasa.
    Flickr
    Smugmug
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    hnjngo wrote:
    ok thanks. For now, although it is slow going thrugh the picures I'll go though it with picasa.

You can also check out Photo Mechanic and the free program from Nikon, View NX.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    jopapecajopapeca Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    hnjngo wrote:
    Hi im a complete noob at Post production and sorting pictures. At the moment im not sure how I should be going though my pictures to find the keepers and the Junk. I shoot raw and Jpg and windows photo veiwer does not read raw, and when I tried Picasa it was too slow to go though all my picures.

Does anyone know of a good program to sort pictures with? (Preferably that deltes the raw and Jpg at the same time). Or is there a good method that someone would like to share with me.

And What is your Ratio of Keepers and Junk?

Thanks
    Windows can read raw files (ie using explorer with tumbnails or photo viewer), just go to micosoft site and donwload a little 'upgrade' to make it work.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D48E808E-B10D-4CE4-A141-5866FD4A3286&displaylang=en
    best regards
    Paulo Campos

My photos at Flickr
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009
    jopapeca wrote:
    Windows can read raw files (ie using explorer with tumbnails or photo viewer), just go to micosoft site and donwload a little 'upgrade' to make it work.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D48E808E-B10D-4CE4-A141-5866FD4A3286&displaylang=en

Thanks but I have tried instaling this many times and it doesnt work. I know it would be very useful, any advice?

Thanks
    Flickr
    Smugmug
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    jopapeca wrote:
    If you look closely, you'll notice the publication date on that tool is 12/16/2005.
    Which means if you have any camera released over the last 3 years you're SOL. Unfortunately MS didn't bother to update the RAW codec the way Adobe does with its ACR module..ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    If you look closely, you'll notice the publication date on that tool is 12/16/2005.
    Which means if you have any camera released over the last 3 years you're SOL. Unfortunately MS didn't bother to update the RAW codec the way Adobe does with its ACR module..ne_nau.gif

Sorry I didn't notice the release date.... anyway microsoft was other solutions
    which are up to date, i think

http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/default.aspx

I use the raw viewer from the first link, and since it works fine with me never looked to release date, but my camera isn't a recent model (canon 400D).
    Now that you refer that, Nikolai, I looked for a update, it seams that microsoft had released the ProPhotoTools which replaced the old RawViewer. This one with suport for the newer camera models.

as in microsoft site for canon cameras:
    "Supported cameras: EOS-1Ds Mark III, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1Ds, EOS-1D Mark III, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D, EOS 5D, EOS 40D, EOS 30D, EOS 20Da, EOS 20D, EOS 10D, EOS D60, EOS D30, EOS Rebel XSi/EOS Kiss Digital X2/EOS 450D Digital, EOS Kiss Digital X/EOS Digital Rebel XTi/EOS 400D Digital, EOS Kiss Digital N/EOS Digital Rebel XT/EOS 350D Digital, and EOS Kiss Digital/EOS Digital Rebel/EOS 300 Digital, PowerShot Pro1, PowerShot Pro90 IS, PowerShot G9, PowerShot G6, PowerShot G5, PowerShot G3, PowerShot G2, PowerShot G1, PowerShot S70, PowerShot S60, PowerShot S50, PowerShot S45, PowerShot S40, PowerShot S30"

it will support your Canon 40D, hnjngo.
    best regards
    Paulo Campos

My photos at Flickr
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    I have tried this tool. While it does a better job supporting modern RAW formats, it is still kinda lagging (e.g. last update for Canon is from Nov 2008, hence there is not support for neither 50D, nor 5D2 :cry ).
    EDIT: even though MS site says it doesn't, the actual Canon site does provide codec 1.4.1 wich support both 5D2 and 50D. Yay Canon!

However, ProPhotoTools is only a metadata viewer/editor (duh). To use the codec for browsing/sorting you need to use Windows Live Photo Gallery - which is slower than even Lightroom, is you can imagine such a thing...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I have tried this tool. While it does a better job supporting modern RAW formats, it is still kinda lagging (e.g. last update for Canon is from Nov 2008, hence there is not support for neither 50D, nor 5D2 :cry ).
    I understand it's not MS fault, since they apprently use manufacturer codec, and Canon obviously prefers to collect the cream off the milk first...:-)
    Also, prophototools is only a metadata viewer/editor (duh). To use the codec for browsing/sorting you need to use Windows Live Photo Gallery which is even slower than Lightroom, is you can imagine such a thing...

Yes, indeed its kinda slow. I just try it and its slower then LR, but supports many cameras and its free for windows users... I use LR and only installed RawViewer to have the tumbnails in windows folders.
    Also the tagging feature isn't so complete as LR, and in exif info is missing information (at least with my files) like the lens model and focal distance.eek7.gif

Just remenberd, there is another Raw Viewer from Arcsoft that is free, also...
    best regards
    Paulo Campos

My photos at Flickr
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2009
    I have tried instaling it but it does not work ... im not quite sure why. oh well I'll just use picasa

Thanks
    Flickr
    Smugmug