Options

Canon--- Pro1 vs. G6?

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited May 30, 2005 in Cameras
Just wondering people's general impressions between these two camera's... noticed a bit of back and forth debate over them at dpreview.com... also if you're going to talk about the Pro1- do you have the firmware update installed?

One thing I noticed on the dpreview forums was that the people loved their Pro1 after they upgraded the firmware, and *many* found the camera to work better than the G6... do you agree?

One of the things that struck me about the Pro1 was that it could do even finer macro and has a large optical zoom.

Anyhoo... thoughts, discussion, etc?

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    All I can say is how happy I was with a G3. But I know the Pro1 is supposed to be a step up.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    All I can say is how happy I was with a G3. But I know the Pro1 is supposed to be a step up.
    Compared to the G3, no doubt... I find a few pluses in relation to the G6... but there still seems to be an overwhelming majority of favor towards the G6 in most reviews... and the average picture I noticed on the G6 looked a little nicer than the Pro1... though the Pro1 did have some awesome macro shots that I saw too.

Still leaning towards the G6 personally... but I'm still curious why many Pro1 users say it's so much better.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Shima..have you searched images for both cameras in Pbase & SmugMug ?

That helped me with lots of viewing shots when choosing my lenses.

Gus...
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2005
    smugmug, yes, already did that
    pbase- not familiar w/ that interface, have heard of it, but not been on it...

That's why I lean towards the G6, the pictures I saw on smugmug were nicer out of the G6 for the most part.

I also compared pictures from each on dpreview and dcresource.

I was just hoping to hear other people's inputs on these camera's if they've used either or both.
    Humungus wrote:
    Shima..have you searched images for both cameras in Pbase & SmugMug ?

That helped me with lots of viewing shots when choosing my lenses.

Gus...
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Shima,

Compare G6 to Pro 1 with test images.

You can also use his Comparometer
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2005
    I actually *do* like the Pro1 better than the G6 in that! I need more comparison shots, heh. Good stuff, thanks for the link.

I also need to be able to hold onto these cameras and see how they feel and work when actually in my hands... must find a store that actually has some of these in stock... last best buy I went to didn't have any G6's... didn't see any Pro1's there either...

the hunt continues...

granted though the pro1 is a bit more expensive, so it may not be in my spending range depending on what it's going for in stores...
    DavidTO wrote:
    Shima,

Compare G6 to Pro 1 with test images.

You can also use his Comparometer
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    I need more comparison shots,...
    Did you look here as i suggested shima ?
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Its all very subjective Shima. It depends in whose hands the cameras are in. I mentioned in another thread about a good macro friend that uses the Canon G series. Most are from the G3. Mark Plonsky, amazing macro shooter.

Now whats different with Mark, is that he can use it for macro that most pros cant use their larger cameras for. Mark is a one of IMO. So it comes down to who uses it and how.

I know you love macro, so check out Marks macro galleries mwink.gif with the G1 and G3

http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/

Now the question comes about most cameras. The cameras are capable, but is the photographer. Are they willing to go that far. A lot of it comes down to the eye behind it, not necessarily the box. mwink.gif

Danny.
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    That guys macros are simply amazing! Judging from those photos I can tell the G3 is a much better camera than my 20D as I can't get anything like what he does :)

Lee