Eskdalemuir Hills Scotland

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited March 20, 2009 in Landscapes
Recently I took a few shots of the Eskdalemuir hills of south west Scotland. It was a very sunny afternoon and the sky was blown out. This is my first successful attempt of replacing a sky so your comments on the landscape shot and replacement sky would be most appreciated.
Regards
Bob
Before
491382365_69TTG-L.jpg
After
491382411_UZz82-L.jpg

Comments

• justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Nice job.thumb.gif
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    justME wrote:
    Nice job.thumb.gif

Thanks for looking justMe.
    Regards
    Bob
  • ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    looks real - good one!
  • AndrewTAndrewT Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Nice work. The only thing I would try to improve are the mountains in the distance that transition into the sky (especially mid-frame). These mountains are getting the harsh light of the sun and are washed out but the sky right above has perfect detail.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor AF-S 105 VR | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | SB-600 | Gitzo G1227 MK2 | Arca Swiss Z1 | Nikon P6000
    edited March 15, 2009
    AndrewT wrote:
    Nice work. The only thing I would try to improve are the mountains in the distance that transition into the sky (especially mid-frame). These mountains are getting the harsh light of the sun and are washed out but the sky right above has perfect detail.

Yes you are certainly right Andrew. How would I go about altering that small mountain range in mid-frame?
    Thanks everyone for looking and commenting I really appreciate it.
    Regards
    Bob
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Beautiful Bob. You are improving clap.gif
    edited March 15, 2009
    If you shot RAW it should be too difficult. You would simply need to create a new layer in Photoshop from the RAW file exposing for the mid-frame mountains - ideally making them closer in line to the foreground mountains. This should make the transition to sky more natural. With some careful masking the mid-frame mountains should marry with the sky and blend into the existing foreground mountains.

If you would like some help let me know.

These images are from a few years ago, but I essentially had to do the same process:

Kilkenny, Ireland - 3 bracketed images stitched together

169576754_LDjHm-M-2.jpg

Muskoka, Ontario, Canada - 3 or 4 exposures of the same image stitched together.

183635775_zTBtt-M-2.jpg
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor AF-S 105 VR | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | SB-600 | Gitzo G1227 MK2 | Arca Swiss Z1 | Nikon P6000
    edited March 16, 2009
    AndrewT wrote:
    If you shot RAW it should be too difficult. You would simply need to create a new layer in Photoshop from the RAW file exposing for the mid-frame mountains - ideally making them closer in line to the foreground mountains. This should make the transition to sky more natural. With some careful masking the mid-frame mountains should marry with the sky and blend into the existing foreground mountains.

If you would like some help let me know.

These images are from a few years ago, but I essentially had to do the same process:

Kilkenny, Ireland - 3 bracketed images stitched together

169576754_LDjHm-M-2.jpg

Muskoka, Ontario, Canada - 3 or 4 exposures of the same image stitched together.

183635775_zTBtt-M-2.jpg

Thanks Dan it sure has been a long haul but slowly getting there.
    Yes Andrew I do shoot raw I must admit I am a wee bit lost on your last instructions for the mid frame mountains. However, I see I have a few images that tend to suffer from the same problem. I would really appreciate a wee bit more detailed help to sort out these mid frames.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Very nice work Bob ! thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited March 16, 2009
    Very nice work Bob ! thumb.gif

Thanks Awais I thought I had got there but once Andrew pointed out the mid frames there is obviously more to do.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited March 20, 2009
    I gave it a quick try, without the benefit of the RAW to show you what I had in mind. Without your permission, I felt it was better PMing you the results first.

I created adjustments layers to play with the levels selectively on multiple layers (mind you my masks were made fairly quickly just to show you the idea :D ).

Below are the steps I went through. If you like my direction you are more than welcome to add these to the thread for the group.

Step 1 - Brought back the detail to the mountains in the distance (in the valley).
    492971438_KMQgM-L.jpg

Step 2 - Adjusted the colour/contrast of the mountain on the right.
    492971491_EmaVr-L.jpg

Step 3 - darkened the furthest mountain in shadow. With the RAW file I am sure you will be able to bring out cleaner detail than I was able to.
    492971535_2zYSy-L.jpg

Step 4 - Finally filled in the clouds a bit where they meet the mountains in the valley.
    492971582_aUUaJ-L.jpg