Metate

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited March 16, 2009 in Landscapes
For hundreds if not thousands of years, the Yharetum, the People of the Pines, would sort their way through the thick hardwood forest of the mountain highlands to gather acorns and pine nuts. While the men would hunt deer, the woman would take their bounty and pound it into meal within the deep holes embedded in the boulders. The People are gone now, and the metate these women used sit lonely in the forest, serving only water provided by the snow melt and early spring rains to small birds looking for a sip in the cover of the now overgrown brush.

398-3765.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 15, 2009
    Nice shot, and informative post!! thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    The star draws me right to the metate. Great capture of the sun on the first metate. Wonderful story with it too.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Nice photo and interesting text
    thanks for sharing !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Nice shot, and informative post!! thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thank you. I'm developing both the text and image for inclusion in the Serrano Indian ethnology section on my web site.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited March 15, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    The star draws me right to the metate. Great capture of the sun on the first metate. Wonderful story with it too.

Thanks. I took my 14-year old grandaughter with me on this one. She only shared a half a sandwich and a half a cookie out of her lunch for my trouble. There were two sets of these. She found this one as I was packing to leave.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited March 15, 2009
    Nice photo and interesting text
    thanks for sharing !

Thank you!
    Anybody can do it.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Very interesting Walter thumb.gifthumb.gif
    edited March 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Very interesting Walter thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank you.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    very well done, really like the backstory also......
    thumb.gifbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gif

I did a GOOGLe on Yharetum and only found a link to this thread.....so where are they from.....are they an offshoot of a recognized tribe.....etc etc
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website