One strange day, but it ended very well.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited March 15, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I had a rather unique day, today . . . well, yesterday, actually. My plans were . . . Pick up Juliette, buy a new flash, go to the Queen Mary with a photo group and, between shooting around the ship I'd sneak in a few vintage fashion shots of Juliette.

Epic Failure!

Instead: Picked her up, we had lunch, went antique shopping and then met with a non-photography friend (who was originally going to meet us at the QM); Juliette started getting sicker by the minute while getting ready, so we took her home; hung out at an antique radio shop with the friend, went for a hot dog at a stand that wasn't there this week and then I left for home at 10:30!

But even going home wasn't a complete success, because I took an impromtu side trip (1/4 block) to Pasadena's city hall and was allowed to use my tripod. I got fifteen shots, until the security guard had to enforce the "Everyone out at 11:00 PM" rule. And by "impromtu", I mean that even the compositions weren't planned; I found a spot and an angle, set the camera and (sometimes) set the focus (small apertures give a lot of leeway) and then counted the exposures the old-fashioned way - one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three. . . . You get the idea.

So, it turned out to be a good day, after all: Had fun with a few friends for as long as possible, saw tons of antique radios, clocks and morse code tappers, and still managed to shoot in a manner that was new to me (small aperture, long exposure - 13 to 22 seconds), utilizing a mood I'd never used before, at a time I'd never shot before, and still got several shots that I like.

Here are my six favorites from tonight. I hope you'll enjoy them.

Spiral.
SpiralDSC_3653.jpg

Ghost on the Landing.
GhostontheLandingDSC_3659.jpg

Strange Light.
StrangeLightDSC_3656.jpg

Where am I?
WhereAmIDSC_3654.jpg

To Reach the End.
ToReachtheEndDSC_3655.jpg

Down, but How?
DownbutHowDSC_3663.jpg

Comments, of course, are always accepted with a smile.
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 15, 2009
    Nice work, Lee. thumb.gif My favorites are the first and the last. One (sort of) nit is that the posted versions are so large that I have to scroll to see the whole frame, which makes it difficult to appreciate the geometric qualities of the composition. Guess I need a bigger screen rolleyes1.gif...
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    very cool stairwell!
    Anybody can do it.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Hi Lee
    These are all extremely nice and unusual but that first one is absolutely stunning! thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 15, 2009
    Interesting series of images, all good.

I prefer 2 and 5. I like the capture of the faint shadows in 2.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    They are wonderful; I especially like 'Strange Light'. Knowing you did it 'the old fashion' way matches the scenes all the more! :)
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Thank you, everyone, for your very kind comments. Richard, I'm sorry about the size; sometimes I just can't help myself. rolleyes1.gif

Here are the last two. This is about all there is out of the fifteen images I got.

Double Cross.
    DoubleCrossDSC_3647.jpg

My Escape.
    MyEscapeDSC_3660.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Hi Lee,

You've got some really good stuff here. # 1 is especially good.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    the day did turn out well:D

all terrific shots, number 2 being my fave
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    all very nice. #2 came out very good.