next top model CC

blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited March 19, 2009 in People
Ok need a little help a friend asked me to help her with some photos she is sending them is to the Tyra Banks next top model show the next show they want five foot seven and under models as she is five two. I just took a few today. Seams that I just noob photog and this is important to her I need to get it right! She need to send in two photos one head shot and one full length
so pick 1 each or tell me why they don't work (CC) oh there is little or no PP
on thees photos some sharping but no skin smoothing and I do have a little time to redo them until the 21<SUP>st</SUP>

491667604_67NsF-L.jpg

491667576_JV859-L.jpg

491667490_NgprE-L.jpg

491667627_icdLE-L.jpg

491667574_tXAYT-L.jpg

491667978_xgBFe-L.jpg
5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    For the headshot, I like #2 best....and #6 for the full length shot.

In a couple of the headshots(1 and 3) her pupils are not quite black....or so it seems. They could probably benifit from a slight black point adjustment.

#4 In my opinion....doesn't say "model" to me.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Nice lighting to my eye (although I'll let the experts speak more specifically to the technique of that).

She's a pretty girl, and these aren't bad, but could be GREAT if you can get some more shots of her that capture a little more LIFE. The headshots are better in this regard, I think, but in the full length shots she looks a bit stiff to me, particularly in the way she holds her hands. #6 is the best, but I bet you can get even better shots if you get her moving a little, bending her joints and some more "active" poses. (Maybe Nik or the other "model-expert" guys can suggest some specific tips to help you and her capture that?).

Great start with these, I think.

ETA: While the shoes are current fashion, those round toes don't flatter her legs, and the chunky heels draw attention to themselves more pretty strongly. Perhaps try some with a different heel to see if you can make her legs look longer and her feet smaller?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Disclaimer: I don't shoot models, but I've seen a lot of the work that is done.

Comments:
    • There's not a lot of interaction between the model and the camera. Not a lot of personality showing through
    • In the head shots, she looks more scared than anything else
    • Same for the first full-body shot
    • The last photo is the best - but there's something missing. I think it needs a bit of a sense of exaggerated glamour.
    • Expressions - they are all the same and not very dynamic. Think about over-doing the expression/emotion/message - sexy, sensual, fun, laughing, sad, pouting, whatever - but make it strong enough that the view has not question in their mind what they are seeing.
    • If it bends, bend it. If there are two, make them different.
  • lyttlevietlyttleviet Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    I agree with the first post if you HAVE to use these pictures. Otherwise I would try and get her back for a 2nd time around and get some more expressions out of her. Maybe have her look at some type of poses or you can and coach her through it :D. Good luck!
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Oh, also, if you do get her to pose a second time, I've heard Tyra on the show talking a lot about posing and showing "angles" with the body and "being fierce." Haute couture sexy instead of FHM sexy etc. Anyway, not sure if that helped lol.

Edit -oh, here's some examples:
    http://realitytv.about.com/od/americasnexttopmodel9/ig/Top-Model-10-Contestants/
  • granite.thundergranite.thunder Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Ask her to look away from the camera. She might have a chance. Her face is awkward to the judges. If she doesn't do good step one ( fierce photos ), she might have no luck at this.
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Her face is awkward to the judges.

I wouldn't say "awkward," but she does have a deer before the headlights look at times. I remember I was watching that show, there was a model who had huge huge brown eyes she said always made her look freaky (not that your model looks freaky). She worked them though - lots of expression. Sad, happy, maybe even seductive. Not stiff. Tons of personality.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    By no means WANTING to be harsh...but I wouldn't use any of them. Photographically they are pretty good but none of these say model at all. None of the faces show any emotion but maybe scared. These will not get her on a TV show....
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    I agree with what all of you are saying I got one more shoot set a for tomorrow will start editing right a way and I will re post for CC
    hope I can snap her in to shape
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Disclaimer: I don't shoot models, but I've seen a lot of the work that is done.

Comments:
    • There's not a lot of interaction between the model and the camera. Not a lot of personality showing through
    • In the head shots, she looks more scared than anything else
    • Same for the first full-body shot
    • The last photo is the best - but there's something missing. I think it needs a bit of a sense of exaggerated glamour.
    • Expressions - they are all the same and not very dynamic. Think about over-doing the expression/emotion/message - sexy, sensual, fun, laughing, sad, pouting, whatever - but make it strong enough that the view has not question in their mind what they are seeing.
    • If it bends, bend it. If there are two, make them different.
    I *do* shoot models, and I concur with what Scott said.deal.gif
    Judging by this series, I wouldn't even think of booking this girl for meself, let alone for Mz.Banks...
    Your lighting is nice and solid, but girl is obviously a total n00b, so it was *your* responsibility as a photographer to make her pose right...
    Sorry, she doesn't stand a chance...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    I'm a fan of the show and your shots are technically fine but... the show is going to be FLOODED with entries for the under 5'7" category.

Soooo... when you watch the show, what is Tyra always talking about? Attitude. I'd re-shoot these and work on getting more attitude. Chin up, mouth slightly open, strong, strong looks, more intense eyes-- that kind of thing. The competition is going to be fierce (pun intended) for this show and you're REALLY have to stand out and I just don't thing these images do that, yet.

A local model I shoot all the time made the top 30 for this cycle-- she's 6'1" and very, very experienced (works all the time locally) but she didn't make the final cut for the season premiere. That's how competitive that show is! The under 5'7" is going to be a crowded field.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Everyone pretty well nailed the model parts. On the techie side, watch that background on the headshots. She is either too close to it or your lights are too hot and it's bleeding into her. It looks like a bluish rim around her head, rather than a hair light or other influence. Ideally the background lighting should not effect the subject.

That really is being overly picky on my part (and I have been way too guilty of it myself). The rest of the lighting looks great and is very solid.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    They want her in three states: casual, fitness [swimsuit or gym gear], and a classic.

Casual: jeans, gray shirt.
    Fitness: swimsuit or a leotard... workout bra and shorts
    Classic: suit or nice dress.

They want headshot, 3/4 [head to mid thigh] and Full body - all in profile, semi profile and head on.

I did this for a model and those were the specs straight from the form. She will need to be prepared to wait and wait some more for very little face time.
    edited March 16, 2009
    They want her in three states: casual, fitness [swimsuit or gym gear], and a classic.

They want headshot, 3/4 [head to mid thigh] and Full body - all in profile, semi profile and head on.

I did this for a model and those were the specs straight from the form. She will need to be prepared to wait and wait some more for very little face time.

I'm confused, maybe we were reading different applications... headscratch.gif
    The one I saw specified THREE pictures: headshot, two full heights (clothed and swuimsuit). deal.gif
    You're saying they need a headshot, 3/4 and full height, that each must be taken at THREE angles (0, 45, 90), which makes total 3 x 3= 9.
    So, does a poor girl need 3 pictures or 9? ne_nau.gif
  • wats005wats005 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    As a model myself I have to say that the reviews of the girls "lifelessness" on here are correct. You might try playing some good music on the background to get her feeling more comfortable but she definately needs to give more up to the camera.
    Music does it for me and a good sense of humor from the photog helps ...

One of my first shoots they had me make funny faces until I loosened up a bit.:ivar
    Erica

Still Learning.......
    edited March 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm confused, maybe we were reading different applications... headscratch.gif ...

Just in case, a quote from the official ANTM site:

Three photographs of yourself... One must be a close-up of your face, the second must be a full-length photograph of your entire (clothed) body, and the third must be a full-length photograph of you wearing a swimsuit, and one of these three photographs may be in black and white.
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    ?

Can you give me a reference I'm not seeing it that way I did see the the one that Nic found but I'm not sure because it was in the send in paragraph
    edited March 19, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm confused, maybe we were reading different applications... headscratch.gif
    The one I saw specified THREE pictures: headshot, two full heights (clothed and swuimsuit). deal.gif
    You're saying they need a headshot, 3/4 and full height, that each must be taken at THREE angles (0, 45, 90), which makes total 3 x 3= 9.
    So, does a poor girl need 3 pictures or 9? ne_nau.gif
    I was told those things and that's what I did. You can see it on my smugmug: Kari: Basic Shots. I didn't have a good place to do so on short notice so I "borrowed" a vacant house under construct but it also happened to suck at having light. SO... feh. I didn't see the app... so maybe she was hoping best three out of 25?
    edited March 19, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    Can you give me a reference I'm not seeing it that way I did see the the one that Nic found but I'm not sure because it was in the send in paragraph
    They may have changed it since two cycles ago. Go by the application. I do think they want the variety i dress though and yes, I did do those things: headshots, 3/4, and full body. She wore jeans and a tee, a swimsuit, and a suit.
    ne_nau.gif
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    The only ones that really capture my attention are #5 and #6.
    Take this with a grain of salt since I'm a portrait noob myself, but...
    None of the headshots attract me. They're cold. She seems stiff.

Only #5 and #6 seem to have interaction with the camera.
    She's actually "modeling" in those, and I like them a lot.
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV