My attempt at the Pacific Northwest

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited March 21, 2009 in Landscapes
Just got back last night from 8 days in the Oregon and Washington area for my 9 year old son's spring break. Most of the time was spent with family or driving but between the boy and I there are 1300 photos to go through.

Here are a few i pulled out last night that did not need much or anything done. All are single frames with a little saturation, white/black point adjustments, and maybe some sharpening.

1. Pike's Market
491752249_hzeEB-XL.jpg

2. Seattle Ski Line from Ferry Boat
491752520_6EJrR-XL.jpg

Was able to meet up with Seattle area photographer Ron Coscorrosa to shoot Snoqualmie and another small lake in the foreground of Mt. Si.

3. Lake Borst & Mt. Si
491753166_hWyeD-XL.jpg

4. Snoqualmie Falls
491753350_UPtzk-XL.jpg

5. Quinalt Rain Forest
491754001_2cfKN-XL.jpg

6. Ruby Beach
491754137_snZPr-XL.jpg

7. My son enjoying Ruby Beach
491754323_qfaou-XL.jpg

8. Last Light at Ruby Beach before driving back to Vancouver, WA.
491754729_S43ke-XL.jpg

Comments always appreciated. More photos to surface in the next few weeks. :D
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 15, 2009
    Great stuff, Aaron! I really like your Ruby Beach shots, especially #6. bowdown.gif

I know you guys were complaining about the light during that week, but you seemed to have made the best of it. It looks like you had a good trip. thumb.gif

-joel
  • MansmindMansmind Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Wonderful shots, very nice work. Love that Seattle skyline.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Really loved them very nice photos ! and place
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Only 1,300 photos on an 8 day trip!? I think I took that many of Mt. Si bored waiting for the water to calm down to get a reflection. Maybe I'm a heavy shooter...

You undersold the sunset at Ruby Beach! That turned out great considering the forecast, certainly better than the last sunset I shot there. I have several versions of #8 too as I'm walking back up the trail to my car.

Looking forward to seeing the Oregon side of the trip too.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    I like #1 and #6. Most shots I see of Pike's market are of fish, so your veggie shot is a welcome change! And #6, well, I could put it on my wall and just sit and look at it forever!!!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Great series Aaron. clap.gif I have to get up there too.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Nicely done! The Ruby Beach shots are great. Can't wait to see some more from your trip!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Great stuff, Aaron! I really like your Ruby Beach shots, especially #6. bowdown.gif

I know you guys were complaining about the light during that week, but you seemed to have made the best of it. It looks like you had a good trip. thumb.gif

-joel

Thanks Joel-

It wasn't the greatest light during the week but the trip was more about the boy and family anyways. It was indeed a good trip. :D

Aaron Newman

edited March 16, 2009
    Mansmind wrote:
    Wonderful shots, very nice work. Love that Seattle skyline.

Thank you sir. thumb.gif

Aaron Newman

edited March 16, 2009
    Really loved them very nice photos ! and place

Thanks Awais. It is indeed a very nice area which I hope to return to and shoot again.

Aaron Newman

edited March 16, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Only 1,300 photos on an 8 day trip!? I think I took that many of Mt. Si bored waiting for the water to calm down to get a reflection. Maybe I'm a heavy shooter...

You undersold the sunset at Ruby Beach! That turned out great considering the forecast, certainly better than the last sunset I shot there. I have several versions of #8 too as I'm walking back up the trail to my car.

Looking forward to seeing the Oregon side of the trip too.

Yeah- I was surprised to see that was all I took. There were however a lot of times I didn't shoot at all or after shooting a few shots I knew I wasn't going to get much.

Rubyt Beach was okay light. I guess I am spoiled with the sunrises and sunsets of the Southwest with lots of color. deal.gif I liked that beach a lot though and glad you convinced me to go ahead and head out there. bowdown.gif

Aaron Newman

edited March 16, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I like #1 and #6. Most shots I see of Pike's market are of fish, so your veggie shot is a welcome change! And #6, well, I could put it on my wall and just sit and look at it forever!!!

The light on the fruits and vegetable was too good to pass up. :D Glad you like #6 so much. We can work something out if you really want it. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

edited March 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great series Aaron. clap.gif I have to get up there too.

Thanks Dan- You should get up there at some point. It is really a nice area and lots to see within fairly reasonable drive times.

I saw you were at Picacho. The flowers should be in full bloom in a couple weeks. Of course that means you have to be there by 4:30am as the sun is coming up earlier too.

Aaron Newman

edited March 16, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Nicely done! The Ruby Beach shots are great. Can't wait to see some more from your trip!

Thanks Bryan-

The rest of the trip is going to take a while. :cry

Aaron Newman

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Thanks Dan- You should get up there at some point. It is really a nice area and lots to see within fairly reasonable drive times.

I saw you were at Picacho. The flowers should be in full bloom in a couple weeks. Of course that means you have to be there by 4:30am as the sun is coming up earlier too.

Good to know. They told me it had been too hot and dry so far.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Yeah- I was surprised to see that was all I took. There were however a lot of times I didn't shoot at all or after shooting a few shots I knew I wasn't going to get much.

Rubyt Beach was okay light. I guess I am spoiled with the sunrises and sunsets of the Southwest with lots of color. deal.gif I liked that beach a lot though and glad you convinced me to go ahead and head out there. bowdown.gif

I'm glad you went, I'm positive my sunset expectations are well below yours, but I've been to the beach many times and received worse light than you did on your single visit. You never know though, sometimes the light sucks and this it's just ridiculous for about 5 minutes right at sunset and then goes back to sucking again. It's really variable, especially outside of summer.
    edited March 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Good to know. They told me it had been too hot and dry so far.

I have been seeing the poppies popping up along the side of the road. If we can get a good rain shower they should come out in abundance. You might want to check on what wildflowers there are on Mt. Lemmon and the prime time. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Really nice, Aaron. That's so awesome that you spent spring break with your sun in such a great part of the States. I bet the weather is a little difference from Phoenix!

Those are some of the prettiest beaches I've ever seen, and you caught them well. I love the shot of your son standing there, looking pensive.
    edited March 20, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Really nice, Aaron. That's so awesome that you spent spring break with your sun in such a great part of the States. I bet the weather is a little difference from Phoenix!

Those are some of the prettiest beaches I've ever seen, and you caught them well. I love the shot of your son standing there, looking pensive.

Thanks Scmoo. We do a trip every year. The weather was different to say the least. Rain, snow, & wind throughout the week and then come back to mid 80's and low 90's. eek7.gif

Thanks for the comments.

Aaron Newman

• buggerbugger Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2009
    amazing stuff thumb.gifthumb.gif Seattle Washington... was there 25 Years ago.... sure brings back memories
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Looks like you really got to see some of the highlights of the Northwest! Quinault and the Olympic Peninsula are one of my favorite place's here! I actually hope to retire in the Hoh Rain Forest one day. Nice shots!thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• hendiehendie Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Great Pics, I like the lake picture, nice comp, nice reflection and colors on the trees. Would have been excellent if the sky was not overcast.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    It looks like you had an awesome trip Aaron! All are great but I really love the first waterfall shot. It looks slightly crooked but other than that it is great. thumb.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Beautiful pictures Aaron. Can't wait to see more!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Great work Aaron!! This is my neck of the woods and I enjoyed your photos a lot!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited March 21, 2009
    bugger wrote:
    amazing stuff thumb.gifthumb.gif Seattle Washington... was there 25 Years ago.... sure brings back memories

Thanks Bugger. Happy to help bring back some memories. thumb.gif

Aaron Newman

edited March 21, 2009
    leaforte wrote:
    Looks like you really got to see some of the highlights of the Northwest! Quinault and the Olympic Peninsula are one of my favorite place's here! I actually hope to retire in the Hoh Rain Forest one day. Nice shots!thumb.gif

That was one area we didn't get to spend much time. I was running low on gas and wanted to get back to Ruby Beach for sunset. I will have to hit Hoh Rain Forest for a good amount of time when I return. I could see retiring up there too.

Aaron Newman

edited March 21, 2009
    hendie wrote:
    Great Pics, I like the lake picture, nice comp, nice reflection and colors on the trees. Would have been excellent if the sky was not overcast.

Thanks- I have to thank Ron Coscorrosa for taking me over to that lake as well as making me be patient. The water was choppy for quite a while and then if was calm long enough to get some shots off.

Either not overcast or some more intense clouds- I would have been happy with either. This was great light for portraits but not for landscapes.

Aaron Newman

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    love them all #8 is a fav....clap.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Daver2112Daver2112 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Very nice collection of images you've captured here.thumb.gif