5DM2 Settings question..

JackieHollowJackieHollow Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited March 15, 2009 in Cameras
Let me start by saying I've read the manual. SEVERAL times. :huh

I want to BBF. I know that the AF ON locks my focus (cuz I've turned it on to do so. LOL) Is there a way tho, to make the * lock in the focus (my thumb has a harder time reaching the AF ON button), and to turn the focus OFF of the shutter button??

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 15, 2009
    Let me start by saying I've read the manual. SEVERAL times. eek7.gif

I want to BBF. I know that the AF ON locks my focus (cuz I've turned it on to do so. Laughing.gif) Is there a way tho, to make the * lock in the focus (my thumb has a harder time reaching the AF ON button), and to turn the focus OFF of the shutter button??

If I understand your question correctly, you want to re-program the "*" button to have the functionality of the "AF-ON" button (which is just to the left)?

If that is your intention then no, I don't believe you can remap the buttons. There are some alternate capabilities for buttons like the "Set" button but not all buttons can be reconfigured.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JackieHollowJackieHollow Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If I understand your question correctly, you want to re-program the "*" button to have the functionality of the "AF-ON" button (which is just to the left)?

If that is your intention then no, I don't believe you can remap the buttons. There are some alternate capabilities for buttons like the "Set" button but not all buttons can be reconfigured.

I didn't figure I would be able to do that. Is there a way to turn the focusing OFF on the shutter button. As of right now my "AF-ON" button and shutter BOTH focus (so if my finger slips at all from the AF ON, then the shutter tries to refocus.)
    edited March 15, 2009
    I didn't figure I would be able to do that. Is there a way to turn the focusing OFF on the shutter button. As of right now my "AF-ON" button and shutter BOTH focus (so if my finger slips at all from the AF ON, then the shutter tries to refocus.)

Here is a link to how Canon explains those buttons and they make it seem that the 5D MKII "can" flip the * and AF-ON buttons.

I'm not sure anymore.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2286
    ziggy53
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Try menu --> custom functions/7th tab --> C.FnIV --> set custom function 1 (Shutter button/AF-ON button) to '2'
    and see if that is what you are looking for thumb.gif
    edited March 15, 2009
    Similar to what Ivar suggests:

CFn IV, item 2, set to 1:Enable
    CFn IV, item 1, set to 2:Metering start/Meter+AF start

That seems to put the rear AF to the * button and turns off the shutter button half-depress override.
    ziggy53
  • JackieHollowJackieHollow Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    THANK YOU!! I had actually enabled the CF IV once before but since it didn't stop my shutter button from focusing, I took it off.

Those worked PERFECTLY, me and my short thumbs thank you so much.