Nikon D300 vs D2XS?

LornceLornce Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
edited March 16, 2009 in Cameras
Can someone explain the main internal differences or link me to a comparo or review?

I'm familiar with the differences in body architecture.

What are the differences in their processors and buffer performance?

Do they share the same CMOS sensor?

That sort of thing.

Sorry if this is redundant, I'm new here and promise to be quiet in the corner once I figure this one out.

tia,
Lornce

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 15, 2009
    Lornce wrote:
    Can someone explain the main internal differences or link me to a comparo or review?

I'm familiar with the differences in body architecture.

What are the differences in their processors and buffer performance?

Do they share the same CMOS sensor?

That sort of thing.

Sorry if this is redundant, I'm new here and promise to be quiet in the corner once I figure this one out.

tia,
    Lornce

Lornce, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Where to begin? I suggest looking at the following link which describes the Nikon D300 and mentions/compares it (somewhat) with the D2x:

http://www.bythom.com/nikond300review.htm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • photographiliaphotographilia Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Hi and welcome.

Can't say I know all the answers to your questions. The sensor is definitely different, probably most noticeably in the high ISO department (D300 is better there). Autofocus speed would be much higher with a D2X, even given (or perhaps partly because of) the D300's higher AF point count. You'll find some folks prefer the image quality of the D2X, but if I remember rightly Nikon released an in-camera curve for the D300 that mimics the D2X 'signature'.

The link above from Ziggy is probably worth a read; Thom's stuff is very good.
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Autofocus speed would be much higher with a D2X, even given (or perhaps partly because of) the D300's higher AF point count.

That's only if you use the D300's "3D" auto-detect mode. Select your own AF point (or group of points) and it's plenty quick.
    Tim